PDXpert PLM Software
On-line Help Guide
This help topic describes the current PDXpert PLM release. Earlier releases may be different. To view your release's version of this topic, open PDXpert and press the F1 key or select the Help menu.
Search for an item
PDXpert's search works very similar to your favorite web search engine: enter what you want, and PDXpert will display records ranked with most likely results higher in the list. When you provide more information in your query, the top results are more accurate.
- Click on the Item Explorer's Search tab.
Enter the search terms most likely to uniquely identify an item. For instance, you can use an item number, words in the item's description, the item's type, the owning organization, release status, or custom attribute values.
See the How to use the Item Explorer > Use search commands topic for more information on constructing searches.
Click on thebutton to start the search.
Double-click the item you want to open, or right-click on the item to open the context menu and select Open Item. Or, use different search terms to refine the list of items.
Just like a web search engine, results are ranked according to their relevance to the search terms. Matching item numbers, descriptions and other data appearing on an item's General tab will usually rank higher in the results. Some returned items may be only loosely related to your initial search term, and these items are listed lower on the results list.
If your results do not include the items you want, try refining your search by adding more terms.
To optimize workstation and network performance, the result set is limited to about two thousand records. If your search is very general — say, part or 1* — then the result set may not contain your item. By using more specific search terms, you'll get more useful results, and faster.
It takes a few moments for a newly-saved item record to be indexed and become available in search results.
File contents are indexed based on file "filters" that have been installed on the server computer. Based on system load and file size, there may be a noticeable delay before a file's content is included in search results. If a file attachment doesn't have a matching filter, then its content isn't included in your search results.
You can exclude items by disabling the "include" buttons above the search textbox. When an include button is highlighted, the related items are included in the search. Clicking on the include button will toggle the highlight and the search results. In the picture below, all canceled parts and documents are excluded from the search results.
While the results will show items that meet your search criteria, your ability to open a specific item is controlled by your security permissions. These are determined by the system administrator, who specifies:
- your assigned Role, which grants access to specified item classes and release status; and
- whether you've been denied access in the Product Family, which assigns items to projects.
Help Guide Contents [PDF]
- 0001. Welcome!
- 0002. Help conventions
- 0100. PDXpert Application Server
- 0101. Server overview
- 0200. How to...
- 0300. Console reference
- 0400. How to start the PDXpert client
- 0500. Program concepts
- 0600. How to set up PDXpert
- 0700. How to use the Item Explorer
- 0800. How to use the Collection Explorer
- 0900. How to work with documents
- 0901. Manage documents
- 1000. How to start a document
- 1003. Fill in the new document
- 1004. Add or remove references
- 1005. Save your document
- 1006. Remove your document
- 1007. Release your document
- 1008. Manage a released document
- 1009. Revise a released document
- 1010. Cancel a released document
- 1100. How to work with parts
- 1101. Manage parts
- 1200. How to start a part
- 1203. Fill in the new part
- 1204. Add, modify or remove BOM parts
- 1205. Import a CAD BOM
- 1206. Add or remove approved sources
- 1207. Add or remove references
- 1208. Save your part
- 1209. Remove your part
- 1210. Release your part
- 1211. Revise a released part
- 1212. Manage a released part
- 1213. Cancel a released part
- 1300. How to revise multiple markups
- 1400. How to work with change forms
- 1401. Processing a change
- 1402. Originate a new change form
- 1403. Analyze a submitted change
- 1404. Fix change processing errors
- 1405. Remove your change form
- 1406. Review a routed change
- 1407. Resolve an on-hold change
- 1408. Analyze an accepted change
- 1409. Use a released change
- 1410. View a completed change
- 1411. Analyze a stopped change
- 1412. View a rejected change
- 1413. Remove a canceled change
- 1414. Return a submitted change
- 1500. How to work with file attachments
- 1600. How to report, import & export
- 1601. Create a report
- 1602. Export a PDX package
- 1603. Use the Report/Export Wizard
- 1700. Import & update items
- 1701. Initialize your PLM database
- 1702. Use the External Data Importer
- 1703. Item Master import
- 1704. Iteration-level relational imports
- 1705. Bill of materials import
- 1706. References import
- 1707. Revision files import
- 1708. Sources import
- 1709. Item-level relational imports
- 1710. Item files & links import
- 1711. Materials import
- 1712. Groups collection import
- 1713. Materials collection import
- 1714. Organizations collection import
- 1715. Persons collection import
- 1716. Custom collection import
- 1800. View & export via ODBC
- 1801. View database objects
- 1802. Create an ODBC connection
- 1803. ItemViews reference
- 1804. ReferencePairViews reference
- 1805. SourcePairViews reference
- 1806. SourceItemMasterView reference
- 1807. StructurePairViews reference
- 1808. ChangeViews reference
- 1809. ChangePairViews reference
- 1810. FilePairMasterView reference
- 1900. How to perform other tasks
- 2000. Menu reference
- 2100. Item Explorer reference
- 2200. Document window reference
- 2300. Part window reference
- 2400. Change Form window reference
- 2500. System Rules reference
- 2501. System Rules window
- 2502. General: Copy files to snapshot
- 2503. General: Item uniqueness definition
- 2504. General: Reviewer's comment required
- 2505. Default File Access
- 2506. Password Policy
- 2507. References Tabs
- 2508. BOM: Allow duplicate parts
- 2509. BOM: Lock part default unit of measure
- 2510. BOM: Allow partner parts
- 2600. Collections reference
- 2601. Managing collections
- 2602. Custom attributes
- 2700. Places/Organizations/Persons
- 2800. General
- 2900. Documents
- 3000. Parts
- 3100. Changes
- 3108. Custom collections
- 3200. Other reference topics
- 3300. Software licenses & legal notices