PDXpert PLM Software
Upgrading the PDXpert Application Server
You must have a current license subscription and administrator rights to your computer, and be the only logged-in Windows user.
If you're upgrading to a release that's older than PDXpert 8.0, then refer to Upgrade to PDXpert 7.5 or earlier. If you're upgrading to release PDXpert 8.0 or later, follow the instructions on this page.
All updates are cumulative and may be applied to any PDXpert system. No other updates are required to obtain the most current features.
If you have a large system or many custom services, consider validating your upgrade in a test environment prior to upgrading your production system.
A system upgrade is applied to your server computer.
In a single-user system, you may be using a single PC that acts as the server computer and contains the PDXpert client application.
If you use more than one computer for your PDXpert system, upgrade the PDXpert system on your server computer before upgrading the PDXpert client application on each workstation computer.
Before proceeding, confirm that:
Close all PDXpert client applications. Any open sessions on remote clients will be closed during the upgrade.
Stop access from any applications, utilities or services that rely on the PDXpert database (CAD part look-up, MRP transfers, database backup services, etc.).
Back up your data as described in the help file: Contents > PDXpert Application Server > How to... > Back up the database or in on-line help. If you have a large number of files, you may want to use the Database without Library (.bak) option. The upgrade will not affect any library files.
Download and save the new PDXpert Application Server installer.
Obtain the PDXpert system installer using your previous release's download page; registering to receive a new download link via email; or requesting the download from your application support engineer.
Save the PDXpert system installer to your server computer. Do not run the installer directly from your browser. An interrupted connection may cause the installation process to fail.
Run the PDXpert Server installer on your current server computer. This also updates the PDXpert client on the same computer. If your computer does not already have the required Microsoft .NET Framework, it will be downloaded from the Microsoft website and installed for you.
PDXpert release 10.3 and later installs SQL Server 2014 Express LocalDB. If your system was using SQL Server 2012 Express LocalDB, the upgraded database will be moved to the new SQL Server 2014 instance. If your system was using an earlier SQL Server Express or higher version, then it will continue to be used; in this case, if you don't want LocalDB installed, you must install the PDXPert system upgrade using the db=0 command line option.
Most upgrades require only a few minutes to update the database schema. Upgrades that take significant time will be described in the release notes.
Users may log in after the server displays the Database upgraded successfully status message.
Indexing may take significant time for a large database and library. While the database is being indexed, search results may be incomplete and server computer performance will be reduced. Server performance and search results will return to normal after the indexing is complete.
Validating your database & library upgrade—
Use the following steps to confirm that your database and library file pointers have been successfully updated, and that all database services are operational.
On the server computer:
Start the PDXpert client using an account with normal or analyst role permissions:
- Enter account name and password, and
- Click the OK button.
If you see the log in message The server could not be contacted, then the client communications service could not automatically restart after the upgrade. Restart the service by rebooting the computer. Or, to avoid rebooting, try using the tool to , then , the PDXpert Server service.
Search for a known part or document that has a file attachment. Open the item and confirm that the file attachment can be copied from PDXpert to your computer's Desktop. View the file to ensure the file appears as expected. You may want to test both recent and older items.
A large database may require significant time before all items are searchable. You can monitor indexing progress within the PDXpert client: Tools | Index Status...
Verify that each Data Transformations member (custom reports, imports and exports) performs as expected.
If you have defined any Views collection members for sharing data with CAD, MRP or similar applications, verify that each member contains expected data.
Restart/restore any custom applications, utilities or services that rely on the PDXpert database and verify proper operation.
Install Guide Contents
- 001. Installation overview
- 002. Preparing the server computer
- 003. Standard PDXpert System setup
- 004. Standard PDXpert PLM client setup
- 005. Installing LocalDB for PDXpert client ODBC
- 006. Custom installation: SQL Server
- 007. Custom installation: PDXpert server
- 008. Custom installation: Private cloud
- 009. Custom installation: Group Policy
- 010. Upgrading the PDXpert Application Server
- 011. Upgrading the PDXpert PLM client
- 012. PDXpert server post-install checklist
- 013. Moving PDXpert server database and files
- 014. PDXpert Application Server diagnostics
- 015. PDXpert PLM client diagnostics
- 016. Microsoft SQL Server diagnostics
- 017. Microsoft SQL Server log files
- 018. Connecting SQL Server Management Studio
- 019. Upgrading SQL Server
- Installing and upgrading older PDXpert releases
- 023. PDXpert application folders and files
- 024. System architectural diagram
Release notes (change history)
- PDXpert 7.0 release notes
- PDXpert 7.1 release notes
- PDXpert 7.2 release notes
- PDXpert 7.3 release notes
- PDXpert 7.4 release notes
- PDXpert 7.5 release notes
- PDXpert 8.0 release notes
- PDXpert 8.1 release notes
- PDXpert 9.0 release notes
- PDXpert 9.1 release notes
- PDXpert 9.2 release notes
- PDXpert 9.3 release notes
- PDXpert 10.0 release notes
- PDXpert 10.1 release notes
- PDXpert 10.2 release notes
- PDXpert 10.3 release notes