PDXpert PLM Software
On-line Help Guide
This help topic describes the current PDXpert PLM release. Earlier releases may be different. To view your release's version of this topic, open PDXpert and press the F1 key or select the Help menu.
making any changes to custom collections:
1. All users other than the administrator should exit the PDXpert application.
2. The administrator should close all open data records ( ).
Defines a constrained list of choices to be displayed within a custom attribute.
Custom attributes in documents, parts, change forms
This is the custom collection's name within the Custom group.
It's permitted — but not recommended — to assign the name of a standard collection, such as Persons, to a new custom collection. Future PDXpert capabilities may rely on unique collection names, and duplicate names may need to be renamed later.
- This describes the function or purpose of the collection.
- This is the complete name for the collection member.
- Specifies a short version of the member name. Although not used within the application, that database value may be available for export via a Data Transformations object.
- This describes the function or purpose of the member.
- Custom collection—
- Identifies the collection that contains the member. When first creating the member, you can move it to another collection; however, after saving, the member can't be moved.
- Active: users can select
Default member of collection—
- For a description of these checkboxes, see the Collections reference > Managing collections help topic.
- The first member of the collection will be assigned as the default. If the collection has more than one member, the default can be changed to a different member.
- Making a custom collection member inactive makes it unavailable for new assignment, but doesn't remove it from any items where it's already used.
A custom collection defines a fixed set of choices that can be selected in your items' custom attributes.
Always create a generic record, such as Not specified, as the default collection member. When creating a custom attribute in a part type, document type or change form template, assign this generic member as the default. The value is displayed until a useful collection member is intentionally assigned to the item.
Custom collections can be created to meet a very specific need, or to be broadly reusable. For example, if you want to create a list of possible paint colors for a part, the custom collection might be called either Colors or, more narrowly, Paint colors. The choice affects the number of collections, and how you'll manage each one over time. Consider whether:
- the collection can be used for different purposes — that is, the collection members are generic (Red) or specific (Copper Sunset) —, and
- modifications to the custom collection's members — say, new colors — will be appropriate wherever the collection is used.
Help Guide Contents [PDF]
- 0001. Welcome!
- 0002. Help conventions
- 0100. PDXpert Application Server
- 0101. Server overview
- 0200. How to...
- 0300. Console reference
- 0400. How to start the PDXpert client
- 0500. Program concepts
- 0600. How to set up PDXpert
- 0700. How to use the Item Explorer
- 0800. How to use the Collection Explorer
- 0900. How to work with documents
- 0901. Manage documents
- 1000. How to start a document
- 1003. Fill in the new document
- 1004. Add a document's references
- 1005. Save your document
- 1006. Remove your document
- 1007. Release your document
- 1008. Manage a released document
- 1009. Revise a released document
- 1010. Cancel a released document
- 1100. How to work with parts
- 1101. Manage parts
- 1200. How to start a part
- 1203. Fill in the new part
- 1204. Add, modify or remove BOM parts
- 1205. Import a CAD BOM
- 1206. Add or remove approved sources
- 1207. Add a part's references
- 1208. Save your part
- 1209. Remove your part
- 1210. Release your part
- 1211. Revise a released part
- 1212. Manage a released part
- 1213. Cancel a released part
- 1300. How to revise multiple markups
- 1400. How to work with change forms
- 1401. Processing a change
- 1402. Originate a new change form
- 1403. Analyze a submitted change
- 1404. Fix change processing errors
- 1405. Remove your change form
- 1406. Review a routed change
- 1407. Resolve an on-hold change
- 1408. Analyze an accepted change
- 1409. Use a released change
- 1410. View a completed change
- 1411. Analyze a stopped change
- 1412. View a rejected change
- 1413. Remove a canceled change
- 1414. Return a submitted change
- 1500. How to work with file attachments
- 1600. How to report, import & export
- 1601. Create a report
- 1602. Export a PDX package
- 1603. Use the Report/Export Wizard
- 1700. Import & update items
- 1701. Initialize your PLM database
- 1702. Use the External Data Importer
- 1703. Item Master import
- 1704. Iteration-level relational imports
- 1705. Bill of materials import
- 1706. References import
- 1707. Revision files import
- 1708. Sources import
- 1709. Item-level relational imports
- 1710. Item files & links import
- 1711. Materials import
- 1712. Groups collection import
- 1713. Materials collection import
- 1714. Organizations collection import
- 1715. Persons collection import
- 1716. Custom collection import
- 1800. View & export via ODBC
- 1801. View database objects
- 1802. Create an ODBC connection
- 1803. ItemViews reference
- 1804. ReferencePairViews reference
- 1805. SourcePairViews reference
- 1806. SourceItemMasterView reference
- 1807. StructurePairViews reference
- 1808. ChangeViews reference
- 1809. ChangePairViews reference
- 1810. FilePairMasterView reference
- 1900. How to perform other tasks
- 2000. Menu reference
- 2100. Item Explorer reference
- 2200. Document window reference
- 2300. Part window reference
- 2400. Change Form window reference
- 2500. System Rules reference
- 2501. System Rules window
- 2502. General: Copy files to snapshot
- 2503. General: Item uniqueness definition
- 2504. General: Reviewer's comment required
- 2505. Default File Access
- 2506. Password Policy
- 2507. References Tabs
- 2508. BOM: Allow duplicate parts
- 2509. BOM: Lock part default unit of measure
- 2510. BOM: Allow partner parts
- 2600. Collections reference
- 2601. Managing collections
- 2602. Custom attributes
- 2700. Places/Organizations/Persons
- 2800. General
- 2900. Documents
- 3000. Parts
- 3100. Changes
- 3108. Custom collections
- 3200. Other reference topics
- 3300. Software licenses & legal notices