PDXpert PLM Software
On-line Help Guide
This help topic describes the current PDXpert PLM release. Earlier releases may be different. To view your release's version of this topic, open PDXpert and press the F1 key or select the Help menu.
Item Master import
Before importing your data, back up your database. The import tool makes significant changes to your database, and can overwrite data on previously-imported items. You cannot undo the changes it makes; you can only restore your backup database.
An import file ItemMaster.csv template (with existing item data, if any) can be exported using the External Data Importer tool. Select Item Masters from the dropdown list, click the button, and save the file to a convenient location.
The ItemMaster.csv file allows you to import new items with their pending iterations, and update the item-level attributes of existing items. Import items can include custom attributes.
Item master data must be imported to provide a foundation for the relational imports of BOMs, sources, references, materials and files.
- The header names are not case-sensitive.
- Imported items that rely on collections (Part Types, Units of Measure, Make/Buy Categories, etc.) will only be matched to collection members that already exist in the Collection Explorer. However, you can force the system to create new members within selected collections by marking the Create missing collection member(s) checkbox. The new member is assigned only the name and default settings. After importing your data, you should review all new collection members' attributes to ensure they're set correctly.
- The first row of the import file (the "header" row) must contain the column names as defined in this reference, or must match a custom attribute name that's been defined on a Part Types or Document Types collection member. Custom attributes must be defined within PDXpert before importing the item file.
- Do not include more than one column with the same header name.
- Extra (unmatched) columns are ignored.
- Every value must conform to the column's specified data type (collection member, string, number, etc.) or be empty. For example, an attribute that requires a numeric value cannot include non-numeric characters in its value.
- Depending upon the custom attribute scheme, there may be one or two columns for each custom attribute. The first column contains the custom attribute value, and the second column contains the value's unit of measure (for UOM scheme) or currency code (for Money scheme). This second column isn't used for other custom attribute schemes. If the value of either column is empty, then the custom attribute's default value is applied.
- If you're importing Unicode characters, be sure that your text file is encoded as UTF-8, rather than DOS/Windows ANSI. Text editors such as Notepad++ can enforce encoding, while Microsoft Excel may not. Always check that your Unicode data has been correctly imported.
Importing new items—
- If this import file specification doesn't define a column for a PDXpert data attribute, then the default collection member as defined in the Collection Explorer is applied to the new item. For example, the Item Master import template doesn't contain a column for BOM Type Code so each imported part is assigned the default member in the BOM Type Code collection, usually Direct material. Before importing, ensure each of your collections has been assigned an appropriate default member.
- All columns except Number are optional. When a defined column is missing, then the default value (if any) for the column value is applied to the new item.
- Attributes are assigned their default values (if any) unless a different value is provided in the specified column.
- Blank values are treated according to the column's data type. If
the value is blank and the column expects a:
- collection member (say, the CostCurrency), then the collection's default member (for example, USD) is applied.
- number, then the default value for that attribute is assigned.
- Boolean (Yes/No), then a No (False) value is assigned.
- text string, then a blank zero-length string is assigned.
- Leading and trailing spaces are removed ("trimmed") from each data element before it's imported.
- Each imported item has exactly one iteration, which is created at a Pending release state.
Be sure that your user preference Add these product families to every new item that I create list is empty, or contains product families that you want assigned to new items. Your preferred list of product families does not have any effect on items that have been previously created, and are being updated.
Updating items already in the database—
- Each imported item is matched against all items already in the database according to the rules defined in Item uniqueness defined by: Number, Organization, Class, Type. All columns except Number are optional. If a match occurs, then the item row is not imported, but is used to update the existing part or document record. This update occurs regardless of the iteration release state (pending, released or canceled) of the existing item. ,
- Leading and trailing spaces are removed ("trimmed") from each data element before it's matched.
- If an attribute column is omitted from the import file, then items won't have that column's attribute updated.
When the attribute column exists in
the import file, then the current attribute value is replaced. When the
imported value is
- Empty: the attribute's default value is used.
- Not empty: the new value overwrites the previous attribute value.
- An item's iteration-level attributes cannot be updated.
ItemMaster.csv format column definitions—
If you use Excel as your CSV file editor, it may make undesired changes to values that it interprets as a number. For example, part number strings beginning with zero (e.g., 001234) will often be silently converted to a numeric value (1234). If you have any part numbers, document numbers or other data with leading zeroes, don't use Excel. Instead, use a CSV file editor, Windows Notepad, or other plain text editor (not Word) to edit your import file.
|Column name||Updateable||Data type||Assignment if empty||Description|
|Class||No||string Part or Document||Part||If not specified, then the item's Class is a part. Part records have physical attributes like a unit of measure, cost, mass and package quantity; documents do not.|
|Owner||No||Organizations||default member||Identifies the organization that is primarily responsible for the item's specification and which issues the item Number. See note 1.|
|Type||No||Document Types or Part Types||default member||If not specified, then the appropriate type collection is determined by the item's Class, and the default member of the calculated type collection is assigned to the record's Type selection. See note 1.|
|Number||No||string: 1 ≤ length ≤ 70 characters||row is skipped||REQUIRED: This value is imported as the new part or document Number value. If the value is empty, the row is not imported.|
|Revision||No||string: length ≤ 10 characters||no value assigned|
|Description||Yes||string: length ≤ 1000 characters||no value assigned||This value is imported as the new Part name or Document title value.|
|Lifecycle||No||Item Lifecycle Phases||default member||If the value is empty, then the default lifecycle phase (typically Production) is assigned to the item record Lifecycle phase according to the specified Type value. See note 1.|
|Trustee||Yes||Persons||default member||If the value is empty, then the default person is assigned as the record's Trustee selection. See note 1.|
|DefaultUOM||No||Units of Measure||default member||This value applies only to items where Class=Part. If the value is empty, then the default Units of Measure collection member (typically each) is assigned as the record's Default unit of measure selection.|
|MakeBuy||Yes||Make/Buy Categories||default member||This value applies only to items where Class=Part. If the value is empty, then the default Make/Buy Categories collection member (typically Unspecified) is assigned as the record's Make/buy selection. See note 1.|
|GlobalNumber||Yes||string: length ≤ 50 characters||no value assigned||This value applies only to items where Class=Part. This is assigned to the Global number (GTIN, UPC, etc.) value.|
|Location||Yes||string: length ≤ 1000 characters||no value assigned||This value applies only to items where Class=Part. This value is assigned to the record's part Location value.|
|RevisionNote||No||string: length ≤ 1000 characters||no value assigned||This value is assigned to the record's Release description value.|
|CostPerUnit||Yes||double ≥ 0.0||0.0||This value applies only to items where Class=Part. It's assigned to the record's Unit cost per default unit value.|
|CostCurrencyShort||Yes||Currencies||default member||This value applies only to items where Class=Part. Use the Currencies member's Currency code value in this column. If the value is empty, then the default Currencies collection member (typically USD) is assigned as the record's cost Currency selection.|
|PackageQty||Yes||double > 0.0||1.0||This value applies only to items where Class=Part. This is assigned to the Standard packaging quantity value.|
|PackageUOM||Yes||Units of Measure||part's default UoM||This value applies only to items where Class=Part. You must ensure that it's within the same UOM Category as the part's DefaultUOM value. If the value is empty, then the part's Default unit of measure (typically each) is assigned as the Standard packaging quantity unit of measure selection.|
|Certify||Yes||Boolean||False||This value applies only to items where Class=Part. This value is assigned to the record's Part requires: Certified checkbox.|
|Serialize||Yes||Boolean||False||This value applies only to items where Class=Part. This value is assigned to the record's Part requires: Serialized checkbox.|
|Complies||Yes||Boolean||False||This value applies only to items where Class=Part. This value is assigned to the record's compliance checkbox (by default, labeled Meets regulatory requirements).|
|Notes||Yes||string: length ≤ 32000 characters||no value assigned||This value is assigned to the record's Notes tab.|
|EffectiveDate||No||date||no value assigned||This is assigned to an assembly's Effectivity or a document's Effective date value.|
|Person1||No||Persons||empty value||This value may not be visible in item record unless the additional person #1 is enabled in the Part Types or Document Types collection member. See note 2.|
|Person2||No||Persons||empty value||This value may not be visible in item record unless the additional person #2 is enabled in the Part Types or Document Types collection member. See note 2.|
|Mass||Yes||double ≥ 0.0||0.0||This value applies only to items where Class=Part. This is assigned to the Part mass (weight) value.|
|MassUOM||Yes||Units of Measure: Mass / weight||default member||This value applies only to items where Class=Part. Use the Mass / weight member's Name value in this column. If the value is empty, then the default Mass / weight collection member (typically g) is assigned as the record's Part mass (weight) unit of measure selection.|
|custom (note 5)||Yes||string||no value assigned||Custom attribute value that must be compatible with the defined scheme (numeric, Boolean, collection, etc.). If the custom attribute's scheme is a collection (e.g., Countries or Persons), then the value must already exist within the collection.|
|Yes||collection member||default unit assigned||
Where custom attribute value's scheme is
- The cell must (a) contain an existing collection member Name value; or (b) be a blank value, which will cause the default member to be assigned; or (c) contain a new member that will be created if the related Create missing collection member(s) checkbox is marked. If the value fails these tests, the row is not imported.
- The cell must (a) contain an existing collection member Name value; or (b) be a blank value, which will cause a blank (null) value to be assigned; or (c) contain a new member that will be created if the related Create missing collection member(s) checkbox is marked. If the value fails these tests, the row is not imported.
- Matching of collection member names is case-insensitive.
- String length limits are provided for guidance, but these limits are not enforced during import. Lengths longer than those specified may be successfully imported but could be difficult to use or may be affected in future releases.
- Before importing custom attributes, refer to the Collections reference > Custom attributes help topic for naming and use guidelines.
- A logical True/False or Yes/No value. If the value is True or Yes (case-insensitive), then the associated checkbox is marked, otherwise the checkbox is cleared.
- A date value in the local system format, which is derived from the importing computer's Regional and Language settings in the Windows Control Panel.
- A floating point number, such as 2.5 and 92.5418, formatted using the importing computer's Regional and Language settings.
- A series of displayable letter, number and symbol Unicode characters, such as "Bracket". The length of the string "Bracket" is 7 characters.
- The complete contents contained between two CSV delimiters.
Help Guide Contents [PDF]
- 0001. Welcome!
- 0002. Help conventions
- 0100. PDXpert Application Server
- 0101. Server overview
- 0200. How to...
- 0300. Console reference
- 0400. How to start the PDXpert client
- 0500. Program concepts
- 0600. How to set up PDXpert
- 0700. How to use the Item Explorer
- 0800. How to use the Collection Explorer
- 0900. How to work with documents
- 0901. Manage documents
- 1000. How to start a document
- 1003. Fill in the new document
- 1004. Add a document's references
- 1005. Save your document
- 1006. Remove your document
- 1007. Release your document
- 1008. Manage a released document
- 1009. Revise a released document
- 1010. Cancel a released document
- 1100. How to work with parts
- 1101. Manage parts
- 1200. How to start a part
- 1203. Fill in the new part
- 1204. Add, modify or remove BOM parts
- 1205. Import a CAD BOM
- 1206. Add or remove approved sources
- 1207. Add a part's references
- 1208. Save your part
- 1209. Remove your part
- 1210. Release your part
- 1211. Revise a released part
- 1212. Manage a released part
- 1213. Cancel a released part
- 1300. How to revise multiple markups
- 1400. How to work with change forms
- 1401. Processing a change
- 1402. Originate a new change form
- 1403. Analyze a submitted change
- 1404. Fix change processing errors
- 1405. Remove your change form
- 1406. Review a routed change
- 1407. Resolve an on-hold change
- 1408. Analyze an accepted change
- 1409. Use a released change
- 1410. View a completed change
- 1411. Analyze a stopped change
- 1412. View a rejected change
- 1413. Remove a canceled change
- 1414. Return a submitted change
- 1500. How to work with file attachments
- 1600. How to report, import & export
- 1601. Create a report
- 1602. Export a PDX package
- 1603. Use the Report/Export Wizard
- 1700. Import & update items
- 1701. Initialize your PLM database
- 1702. Use the External Data Importer
- 1703. Item Master import
- 1704. Iteration-level relational imports
- 1705. Bill of materials import
- 1706. References import
- 1707. Revision files import
- 1708. Sources import
- 1709. Item-level relational imports
- 1710. Item files & links import
- 1711. Materials import
- 1712. Groups collection import
- 1713. Materials collection import
- 1714. Organizations collection import
- 1715. Persons collection import
- 1716. Custom collection import
- 1800. View & export via ODBC
- 1801. View database objects
- 1802. Create an ODBC connection
- 1803. ItemViews reference
- 1804. ReferencePairViews reference
- 1805. SourcePairViews reference
- 1806. SourceItemMasterView reference
- 1807. StructurePairViews reference
- 1808. ChangeViews reference
- 1809. ChangePairViews reference
- 1810. FilePairMasterView reference
- 1900. How to perform other tasks
- 2000. Menu reference
- 2100. Item Explorer reference
- 2200. Document window reference
- 2300. Part window reference
- 2400. Change Form window reference
- 2500. System Rules reference
- 2501. System Rules window
- 2502. General: Copy files to snapshot
- 2503. General: Item uniqueness definition
- 2504. General: Reviewer's comment required
- 2505. Default File Access
- 2506. Password Policy
- 2507. References Tabs
- 2508. BOM: Allow duplicate parts
- 2509. BOM: Lock part default unit of measure
- 2510. BOM: Allow partner parts
- 2600. Collections reference
- 2601. Managing collections
- 2602. Custom attributes
- 2700. Places/Organizations/Persons
- 2800. General
- 2900. Documents
- 3000. Parts
- 3100. Changes
- 3108. Custom collections
- 3200. Other reference topics
- 3300. Software licenses & legal notices