PDXpert PLM Software
On-line Help Guide
This help topic describes the current PDXpert PLM release. Earlier releases may be different. To view your release's version of this topic, open PDXpert and press the F1 key or select the Help menu.
Solve client log-in problems
Using the account name and password—
The PDXpert client must provide the PDXpert Application Server with a valid user account name and password.
If the PDXpert client's Welcome to PDXpert PLM window is displayed repeatedly, this may be caused by an incorrect user account name or password.
Enter the correct user name, as assigned to you by your application administrator.
If no user accounts have been set up, use the default account name Admin.
If you've been assigned a domain user account, include the domain with your user name, such as domain\username.
Enter your correct account password.
The password is case-sensitive. Ensure that your keyboard's Caps Lock is correctly set.
If no user accounts have been set up, use the default account password (blank).
Enter the server's machine name or IP address.
If the PDXpert client is on the same computer as the PDXpert Server (that is, it was installed as part of the PDXpert system setup), use localhost.
Client connection diagnostics—
The PDXpert website includes the latest client log-in solutions. Search the web for PDXpert client diagnostics.
The PDXpert client application communicates with the PDXpert server. The PDXpert server responds to requests from each PDXpert client, and exchanges product data with the SQL Server database.
If the main PDXpert PLM window or the Software License Key dialog is displayed, then the PDXpert client is able to communicate with the PDXpert Application Server.
If the Welcome to PDXpert PLM log-in dialog is displayed more than once, then the PDXpert client connection to the PDXpert Application Server has an error.
User-provided log-in data includes the log-in account name, account password, server machine name or IP address, and an encryption option.
A refusal to connect may be the result of one of these problems:
The user log-in account name or account password is invalid: Try logging into the client with a known good user account. If the log-in succeeds, the user account has an error (usually a misspelled account name or incorrect password). Ask your administrator to verify your account name or clear your password (PDXpert client |menu | > button).
If no user accounts are recognized, then clear the default super administrator account password using the button on the PDXpert Application Server console. The super administrator can then log in to clear all account passwords using the menu command.
The server machine name is incorrect, or the server's DNS machine name is not recognized, or the server's original IP address has changed: Your server's machine name (like MYSERVER) must exist, and be mapped into a useful IP address (like 192.168.1.47). If you're having trouble connecting to a named server computer, try entering the server machine's IP address into the Server computer's machine name text box. If this is successful, then your DNS server isn't reliably resolving the machine name to IP address.
The server machine is not on the network: The PDXpert client must communicate with a reachable server. Ping the server to ensure it's visible to the client.
The PDXpert Application Server software has not yet been installed: Run the PDXpert system setup program on a computer on your network.
A network router is misconfigured: Router settings must allow communication between the PDXpert Application Server computer and the PDXpert client workstation.
System security setting errors—
When the PDXpert client connection is blocked by firewall or anti-virus software, you may see The server could not be contacted.
Both client and server computers' firewall and anti-virus (FW/AV) must allow communications on HTTP port 48084, and TCP ports 48085 through 48087. It's usually sufficient to set your FW/AV to allow communications between the pdxpert.exe and pdxpertserver.exe applications. Ensure that your AV doesn't override your FW settings (for example, it doesn't change the firewall's Inbound connections: Allow setting).
To test the firewall and antivirus, disable both FW/AV on the server and client computers. If the client can now connect to the server, then:
Exit the PDXpert client and re-enable the antivirus software. Log into the PDXpert client. If the client log-in fails, then set each computer's antivirus to allow communications between the PDXpert server and client applications.
Exit the PDXpert client and re-enable the firewall. Log into the PDXpert client. If the client log-in fails, then set each computer's firewall to allow communications between the PDXpert server and client applications.
Help Guide Contents [PDF]
- 0001. Welcome!
- 0002. Help conventions
- 0100. PDXpert Application Server
- 0101. Server overview
- 0200. How to...
- 0300. Console reference
- 0400. How to start the PDXpert client
- 0500. Program concepts
- 0600. How to set up PDXpert
- 0700. How to use the Item Explorer
- 0800. How to use the Collection Explorer
- 0900. How to work with documents
- 0901. Manage documents
- 1000. How to start a document
- 1003. Fill in the new document
- 1004. Add a document's references
- 1005. Save your document
- 1006. Remove your document
- 1007. Release your document
- 1008. Manage a released document
- 1009. Revise a released document
- 1010. Cancel a released document
- 1100. How to work with parts
- 1101. Manage parts
- 1200. How to start a part
- 1203. Fill in the new part
- 1204. Add, modify or remove BOM parts
- 1205. Import a CAD BOM
- 1206. Add or remove approved sources
- 1207. Add a part's references
- 1208. Save your part
- 1209. Remove your part
- 1210. Release your part
- 1211. Revise a released part
- 1212. Manage a released part
- 1213. Cancel a released part
- 1300. How to revise multiple markups
- 1400. How to work with change forms
- 1401. Processing a change
- 1402. Originate a new change form
- 1403. Analyze a submitted change
- 1404. Fix change processing errors
- 1405. Remove your change form
- 1406. Review a routed change
- 1407. Resolve an on-hold change
- 1408. Analyze an accepted change
- 1409. Use a released change
- 1410. View a completed change
- 1411. Analyze a stopped change
- 1412. View a rejected change
- 1413. Remove a canceled change
- 1414. Return a submitted change
- 1500. How to work with file attachments
- 1600. How to report, import & export
- 1601. Create a report
- 1602. Export a PDX package
- 1603. Use the Report/Export Wizard
- 1700. Import & update items
- 1701. Initialize your PLM database
- 1702. Use the External Data Importer
- 1703. Item Master import
- 1704. Iteration-level relational imports
- 1705. Bill of materials import
- 1706. References import
- 1707. Revision files import
- 1708. Sources import
- 1709. Item-level relational imports
- 1710. Item files & links import
- 1711. Materials import
- 1712. Groups collection import
- 1713. Materials collection import
- 1714. Organizations collection import
- 1715. Persons collection import
- 1716. Custom collection import
- 1800. View & export via ODBC
- 1801. View database objects
- 1802. Create an ODBC connection
- 1803. ItemViews reference
- 1804. ReferencePairViews reference
- 1805. SourcePairViews reference
- 1806. SourceItemMasterView reference
- 1807. StructurePairViews reference
- 1808. ChangeViews reference
- 1809. ChangePairViews reference
- 1810. FilePairMasterView reference
- 1900. How to perform other tasks
- 2000. Menu reference
- 2100. Item Explorer reference
- 2200. Document window reference
- 2300. Part window reference
- 2400. Change Form window reference
- 2500. System Rules reference
- 2501. System Rules window
- 2502. General: Copy files to snapshot
- 2503. General: Item uniqueness definition
- 2504. General: Reviewer's comment required
- 2505. Default File Access
- 2506. Password Policy
- 2507. References Tabs
- 2508. BOM: Allow duplicate parts
- 2509. BOM: Lock part default unit of measure
- 2510. BOM: Allow partner parts
- 2600. Collections reference
- 2601. Managing collections
- 2602. Custom attributes
- 2700. Places/Organizations/Persons
- 2800. General
- 2900. Documents
- 3000. Parts
- 3100. Changes
- 3108. Custom collections
- 3200. Other reference topics
- 3300. Software licenses & legal notices