PDXpert PLM Software
On-line Help Guide
This help topic describes the current PDXpert PLM release. Earlier releases may be different. To view your release's version of this topic, open PDXpert and press the F1 key or select the Help menu.
Identifies your organization as well as the suppliers, customers, regulatory agencies and other entities that interact with it or that affect your PLM process.
You cannot delete the home organization. By design, the home organization is permanent, default and active, and the licensee of this PDXpert instance.
Where used §
Documents, parts, persons (employees)
Data fields §
General tab §
- Name §
- This is the name of the company, agency or other organization.
- This value is locked for the home organization. You can only change its value in the Software License Key dialog, which can be opened by double-clicking on the Name field or by selecting from the menu. You may need to restart your PDXpert client application to see license changes in the Organization window.
- Display name §
- You'll typically use the organization's abbreviation for this value. It's used extensively throughout PDXpert to identify the organizations responsible for creating and managing documents as well as manufacturing or distributing parts. For other uses, see Color-coded environments, below.
- D-U-N-S number §
- The D&B D-U-N-S Number is a unique nine-digit identification sequence, which provides unique identifiers of single business entities, while linking corporate family structures together. It is recognized and/or required by many government, industry standards bodies and trade associations, including ANSI, the United Nations, the U.S. Federal Government and the European Commission.
- D-U-N-S+4 §
- This 13-digit (9+4) value specifies the organization and its geographic location. In non-IPC environments, you may prefer to use this for the EAN.UCC 13-digit Global Location Number.
- Language §
- This is the organization's preferred language for communications. Most documents, part descriptions and changes are written in this language. You can select from active members of the languages collection.
- Partner classification §
- You can classify the organization and its relationship to your own organization, which may be important to other parties who exchange product design data with you. (See the Partner classifications topic for more information.)
- Currency §
- This is the organization's preferred currency. For instance, when a part is assigned a cost, this currency is assumed unless overridden.
- URL/website §
- Enter the organization's home page or intranet page. Clicking on this link launches your computer's default browser and attempts to open the web page.
- Active: users can select
Default member of collection
Permanent member of collection
- For a description of these checkboxes, see the Collections reference > Managing collections help topic.
Address tab §
These fields are used to specify the organization's location and contact information, and are generally self-evident. Clicking on the email address fields creates a new email using your computer's default email application.
The Country and Postal code values are locked for the home organization. You can only change their values in the Software License Key dialog. You may need to restart your PDXpert client application to see any changes.
Files tab §
The Files list lets you attach files to the current organization. These can be changed or removed at any time by users with administrative permissions for the Organizations collection.
To add, edit or remove a file:
- Right-click within the Files area or directly on an existing file. This displays a context menu with the available commands.
Library files are saved within PDXpert's own data library. Appropriate uses may be to save, for example, non-disclosure agreements and contracts.
URLs can point to files stored anywhere such as a file server or website. An unmanaged file is not controlled by PDXpert, and may be modified, moved or deleted without PDXpert's knowledge. Use a URL when you want to always point to the latest version of an often-updated "background information" file, such as the organization's web site or supplier-maintained price list.
Notes tab §
The Notes textbox may be used for any purpose that you choose. Up to 20,000 characters (about 10 printed pages of text) can be added.
Setup suggestions §
The organization which has been assigned the PDXpert software license is always defined as the default ("home") collection member. Modify the default organization member to reflect your company's information.
Create an entity record for any organization that:
- Issues document numbers or part numbers that are used in your PLM system
- Supplies you with parts
- Has regulatory control over the technical contents of your documents
- Has adopted any of your documentation for its own use, and is affected by changes to that documentation
Providing a unique Display name for every entity you add to the database helps you distinguish between various organizations' parts and documents. Make the abbreviation suggestive of the organization you're working with: "Motorola", "CSA", "VDE", "FDA" and "Boeing" are good examples.
In U.S. Government contracting environments, the CAGE code can be appended to the Name or used as the Display name value. The CAGE then becomes a searchable value for items in the database.
Color-coded environments §
You must request a separate software license key for each non-production server.
The Display name can be used to confirm when users are logged into non-production environments, such as for test or training. Include an exclamation character ! anywhere in the Display name to set the background color on the main window's status bar.
- ! (without 1, 2, 3, or 4 following) displays the status bar with a black background. For example, !Training displays status text as Status text.
- !1 displays the status bar with a dark red background. For example, Home!1 displays as Status text
- !2 displays the status bar with a dark yellow background. For example, SYS!2 displays as Status text
- !3 displays the status bar with a dark green background. For example, ALT!3rd displays as Status text
- !4 displays the status bar with a dark blue background. For example, Test!4U displays as Status text
After you save your changes, you must restart your PDXpert client to see the effect.
Help Guide Contents [PDF]
- 0001. Welcome!
- 0002. Help conventions
- 0100. PDXpert Application Server
- 0101. Server overview
- 0200. How to...
- 0300. Console reference
- 0400. How to start the PDXpert client
- 0500. Program concepts
- 0600. How to set up PDXpert
- 0700. How to use the Item Explorer
- 0800. How to use the Collection Explorer
- 0900. How to work with documents
- 0901. Manage documents
- 1000. How to start a document
- 1003. Fill in the new document
- 1004. Add or remove references
- 1005. Save your document
- 1006. Remove your document
- 1007. Release your document
- 1008. Manage a released document
- 1009. Revise a released document
- 1010. Cancel a released document
- 1100. How to work with parts
- 1101. Manage parts
- 1200. How to start a part
- 1203. Fill in the new part
- 1204. Add, modify or remove BOM parts
- 1205. Import a CAD BOM
- 1206. Add or remove approved sources
- 1207. Add or remove references
- 1208. Save your part
- 1209. Remove your part
- 1210. Release your part
- 1211. Revise a released part
- 1212. Manage a released part
- 1213. Cancel a released part
- 1300. How to revise multiple markups
- 1400. How to work with change forms
- 1401. Processing a change
- 1402. Originate a new change form
- 1403. Analyze a submitted change
- 1404. Fix change processing errors
- 1405. Remove your change form
- 1406. Review a routed change
- 1407. Resolve an on-hold change
- 1408. Analyze an accepted change
- 1409. Use a released change
- 1410. View a completed change
- 1411. Analyze a stopped change
- 1412. View a rejected change
- 1413. Remove a canceled change
- 1414. Return a submitted change
- 1500. How to work with file attachments
- 1600. How to report, import & export
- 1601. Create a report
- 1602. Export a PDX package
- 1603. Use the Report/Export Wizard
- 1700. Import & update items
- 1701. Initialize your PLM database
- 1702. Use the External Data Importer
- 1703. Item Master import
- 1704. Iteration-level relational imports
- 1705. Bill of materials import
- 1706. References import
- 1707. Revision files import
- 1708. Sources import
- 1709. Item-level relational imports
- 1710. Item files & links import
- 1711. Materials import
- 1712. Groups collection import
- 1713. Materials collection import
- 1714. Organizations collection import
- 1715. Persons collection import
- 1716. Custom collection import
- 1800. View & export via ODBC
- 1801. View database objects
- 1802. Create an ODBC connection
- 1803. ItemViews reference
- 1804. ReferencePairViews reference
- 1805. SourcePairViews reference
- 1806. SourceItemMasterView reference
- 1807. StructurePairViews reference
- 1808. ChangeViews reference
- 1809. ChangePairViews reference
- 1810. FilePairMasterView reference
- 1900. How to perform other tasks
- 2000. Menu reference
- 2100. Item Explorer reference
- 2200. Document window reference
- 2300. Part window reference
- 2400. Change Form window reference
- 2500. System Rules reference
- 2501. System Rules window
- 2502. General: Copy files to snapshot
- 2503. General: Item uniqueness definition
- 2504. General: Reviewer's comment required
- 2505. Default File Access
- 2506. Password Policy
- 2507. References Tabs
- 2508. BOM: Allow duplicate parts
- 2509. BOM: Lock part default unit of measure
- 2510. BOM: Allow partner parts
- 2600. Collections reference
- 2601. Managing collections
- 2602. Custom attributes
- 2700. Places/Organizations/Persons
- 2800. General
- 2900. Documents
- 3000. Parts
- 3100. Changes
- 3108. Custom collections
- 3200. Other reference topics
- 3300. Software licenses & legal notices