PDXpert PLM Software
On-line Help Guide
This help topic describes the current PDXpert PLM release. Earlier releases may be different. To view your release's version of this topic, open PDXpert and press the F1 key or select the Help menu.
View database objects
The PDXpert database includes a set of read-only views that contain part, document and change form records. You can use these views as the basis for Data Transformations and, via an Open Database Connectivity ("ODBC") client, extract data for reporting and other applications.
There are 3 classes of read-only views within PDXpert:
Public views are built into the PDXpert database. They can provide data to ODBC clients, SQL Server client applications, data transformations, or user-defined views. Public views always end with the characters ...View (such as ItemView). Within the view's name, ...Pair... indicates a parent-child (for example, assembly-component) view. ...Master... views include each item's custom attributes.
An ODBC client using a public view directly must
be able to handle all data types/sizes in the table; or
SELECT only those columns that contain data types that it can handle.
Otherwise, the ODBC client application must extract compatible data from a public view via a user-defined view.
User-defined views ("UDV") can be added to the PDXpert database using the Views collection, in the Collection Explorer's General group. UDVs select data from public views and other user-defined views. A UDV can exclude columns, filter data, perform calculations, reformat data and CAST() data types to other more convenient types. User-defined views always begin with the characters My... (such as MyReleasedParts).
There are two types of user-defined views:
A server UDV selects data from public views using standard Microsoft SQL Server syntax.
A client UDV selects data from a limited set of public views (ItemView, ItemMasterView, SourceItemMasterView, and FilePairMasterView) that are materialized on the client. The query SELECT statement must conform to SQLite syntax.
Private views are used only by the PDXpert application. These views may contain unpredictable content, and may be modified or deleted when upgrading to a new release. Private views end with the characters ..._View (such as Item_View).
Client-side and server-side connections—
Product data is contained in the server machine's Microsoft SQL Server database, and a subset can be mirrored in a SQLite or SQL LocalDB database on the client workstation. Client-side views are designed for fast and secure CAD part lookup. More powerful and flexible server-side views are useful for general reporting and data extraction to downstream systems, such as ERP/MRP.
Connecting to client-side SQLite or SQL LocalDB—
Advantages of using SQLite or SQL LocalDB on the client workstation:
- Some data is materialized locally to increase query performance.
- Data obtained from local views has no network delay.
- Even when the workstation is disconnected, the local database provides a static snapshot of previous part data.
- Data transfers from the server can be encrypted by the PDXpert client connection.
- The ODBC connection doesn't require any log-in credentials or account management.
- The server-side SQL Server can be completely firewalled from the network.
SQLite is immediately available when you enable local views. If you prefer to use SQL Server LocalDB, you must install it as described in the PDXpert Installation Guide on-line (search the web for PDXpert LocalDB client).
Connecting to server-side SQL Server—
Advantages of using SQL Server on the server computer:
All queries are processed by SQL Server, which can use multiple concurrent processes.
Data obtained from the server is immediately available, and has no refresh delay.
Any public view (not just the SQLite-compatible subset) can be used in queries.
Queries can use SQL Server's full range of built-in data manipulation functions.
Table column names are somewhat more flexible for Custom Attribute names.
The local workstation doesn't require an active PDXpert client to obtain current data.
SQL Server offers powerful development tools with better documentation, support and complementary products.
The PDXpert client starts faster because data in client-side views must be updated.
If your PDXpert system currently uses SQL Server LocalDB, then you must upgrade to SQL Server Express (or higher) to access the database from client workstations.
Effect of PDXpert upgrades—
Public views typically remain stable from one release to the next. Revisions to public views are described in the upgrade's release notes.
User-defined views contained in the PDXpert Views collection are retained during upgrades. After upgrading to a new PDXpert release, test (and, if needed, update) user-defined views.
Help Guide Contents [PDF]
- 0001. Welcome!
- 0002. Help conventions
- 0100. PDXpert Application Server
- 0101. Server overview
- 0200. How to...
- 0300. Console reference
- 0400. How to start the PDXpert client
- 0500. Program concepts
- 0600. How to set up PDXpert
- 0700. How to use the Item Explorer
- 0800. How to use the Collection Explorer
- 0900. How to work with documents
- 0901. Manage documents
- 1000. How to start a document
- 1003. Fill in the new document
- 1004. Add a document's references
- 1005. Save your document
- 1006. Remove your document
- 1007. Release your document
- 1008. Manage a released document
- 1009. Revise a released document
- 1010. Cancel a released document
- 1100. How to work with parts
- 1101. Manage parts
- 1200. How to start a part
- 1203. Fill in the new part
- 1204. Add, modify or remove BOM parts
- 1205. Import a CAD BOM
- 1206. Add or remove approved sources
- 1207. Add a part's references
- 1208. Save your part
- 1209. Remove your part
- 1210. Release your part
- 1211. Revise a released part
- 1212. Manage a released part
- 1213. Cancel a released part
- 1300. How to revise multiple markups
- 1400. How to work with change forms
- 1401. Processing a change
- 1402. Originate a new change form
- 1403. Analyze a submitted change
- 1404. Fix change processing errors
- 1405. Remove your change form
- 1406. Review a routed change
- 1407. Resolve an on-hold change
- 1408. Analyze an accepted change
- 1409. Use a released change
- 1410. View a completed change
- 1411. Analyze a stopped change
- 1412. View a rejected change
- 1413. Remove a canceled change
- 1414. Return a submitted change
- 1500. How to work with file attachments
- 1600. How to report, import & export
- 1601. Create a report
- 1602. Export a PDX package
- 1603. Use the Report/Export Wizard
- 1700. Import & update items
- 1701. Initialize your PLM database
- 1702. Use the External Data Importer
- 1703. Item Master import
- 1704. Iteration-level relational imports
- 1705. Bill of materials import
- 1706. References import
- 1707. Revision files import
- 1708. Sources import
- 1709. Item-level relational imports
- 1710. Item files & links import
- 1711. Materials import
- 1712. Groups collection import
- 1713. Materials collection import
- 1714. Organizations collection import
- 1715. Persons collection import
- 1716. Custom collection import
- 1800. View & export via ODBC
- 1801. View database objects
- 1802. Create an ODBC connection
- 1803. ItemViews reference
- 1804. ReferencePairViews reference
- 1805. SourcePairViews reference
- 1806. SourceItemMasterView reference
- 1807. StructurePairViews reference
- 1808. ChangeViews reference
- 1809. ChangePairViews reference
- 1810. FilePairMasterView reference
- 1900. How to perform other tasks
- 2000. Menu reference
- 2100. Item Explorer reference
- 2200. Document window reference
- 2300. Part window reference
- 2400. Change Form window reference
- 2500. System Rules reference
- 2501. System Rules window
- 2502. General: Copy files to snapshot
- 2503. General: Item uniqueness definition
- 2504. General: Reviewer's comment required
- 2505. Default File Access
- 2506. Password Policy
- 2507. References Tabs
- 2508. BOM: Allow duplicate parts
- 2509. BOM: Lock part default unit of measure
- 2510. BOM: Allow partner parts
- 2600. Collections reference
- 2601. Managing collections
- 2602. Custom attributes
- 2700. Places/Organizations/Persons
- 2800. General
- 2900. Documents
- 3000. Parts
- 3100. Changes
- 3108. Custom collections
- 3200. Other reference topics
- 3300. Software licenses & legal notices