PDXpert PLM Software
On-line Help Guide
This help topic describes the current PDXpert PLM release. Earlier releases may be different. To view your release's version of this topic, open PDXpert and press the F1 key or select the Help menu.
Item files & links import
This file defines how PDXpert attaches item-level files and external links to document and part records.
Each row in the import file represents an item record with
- a file that is imported into the library, and attached to the record's Files: Item Files list; or
- an external URI (with protocol such as http: or file:) that is attached to the record's Files: Item Files list.
The import file adds or updates parent-child relationships regardless of the parent item's iteration status (pending, released or canceled).
This format imports historical or background files and web links that are not under change control.
For revision files under change control, use the Revision files import format.
For important rules that affect this import, see the Item-level relational imports help topic.
Rows on the Files: Item Files list are added cumulatively. That is, you can import a different row (say, a new website link) without affecting the current list. If you want to replace an existing list, clear the list using the DELETE-ITEMFILE-LIST or DELETE-ITEMLINK-LIST special values.
Before each new import, ensure there's enough disk space to accept all files in the import list.
Do not attach multiple files with the same name to one item record.
Do not import a Windows Link (.lnk) file. The real data file is not saved, and the link file doesn't contain information that's useful to other computers. Use a URI item link if you don't want PDXpert to manage the actual file.
Windows has a practical device:\path\filename.ext length limit of 260 characters. Verify that deep folder paths and their files are within this limit. To avoid problems when users view or copy item files from PDXpert to their computers, keep item filenames under about 80 characters.
A new import copies item files into the \Data\Library folder. Files that are no longer needed are not automatically deleted from the folder. Test your import carefully with a small set of data before importing the complete set of files.
The Batch Importer tool can generate a CSV template file, which can be used to import your data. Select List: Item Files and Links from the dropdown list, click the button, and save the file to a convenient location.
|Column name||Data type||Value if empty||Description|
|Class||string Part or Document||Part||If not specified, then the parent item's Class is assumed to be a part.|
|Owner||Organizations||home organization||Identifies the organization that is primarily responsible for the parent item's specification and which issues the item Number. If not specified, then the home organization is used.|
|Type||Document Types or Part Types||default member||If not specified, then the appropriate type collection is determined by this parent item's Class, and the default member of the resulting type collection is used to match the record's Type selection.|
|Number||string||row is skipped||REQUIRED: Part or document number. If the value is empty, the row is not imported.|
|ItemFile||file: length ≤ 1000 characters||see note 1||
This is the full file path and name of the file, e.g., C:\MyData\MyFile.txt, that is copied and attached to the corresponding item's Files: Item Files list. As the file is copied into the system library, its attributes are copied to the file's attachment record.
If the file does not exist at the specified path, then the file is not attached. If the file name is the same as an existing attachment, then the imported file replaces the existing file. The special value DELETE-ITEMFILE-LIST removes all item files (but not links) from the item.
It is highly recommended that the imported files are located on the same physical machine—that is, not on a network or mapped drive—as the importing PDXpert client.
|ItemFileNote||string: length ≤ 4000 characters||no value||This value is imported into the file's Notes area.|
|ItemLink||URI: length ≤ 1000 characters||see note 1||
This identifies the location of an external resource ("URI"), such as a supplier website. The URI is added to the parent item's Files: Item Files list. Your string should conform to a standard URI scheme, such as http:// or file://. For example, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_URI_scheme#Windows
The importer warns about an invalid URI (such as UNC) but the value is accepted. The resource is not checked that it actually exists. If the URI value is the same as an existing URI, then the URI details (like date) are updated. The special value DELETE-ITEMLINK-LIST removes all item links (but not item files) from the item.
Be cautious about importing local URIs, such as network file shares, where the path may be renamed or deleted. A resource name resolved using DNS is usually better than a hard-coded IP address.
|ItemLinkNote||string: length ≤ 4000 characters||no value||This value is imported into the URI's Notes area.|
- At least one of these two columns must have a value. We recommend importing files and links on separate rows. One data row can import both an item file and item link, but if either value fails then the entire row (both columns) fails.
Help Guide Contents [as PDF]
- 0001. Welcome!
- 0002. Help styles
- 0100. PDXpert Application Server
- 0101. Server overview
- 0200. How to...
- 0300. Console reference
- 0400. How to start the PDXpert client
- 0500. PDXpert introduction
- 0600. How to set up PDXpert
- 0700. How to use the Item Explorer
- 0800. How to use the Collection Explorer
- 0900. How to work with documents
- 0901. How to work with documents
- 1000. How to start a document
- 1003. Fill in the new document
- 1004. Add or remove references
- 1005. Start and update a task
- 1006. Save your document
- 1007. Remove your document
- 1008. Release your document
- 1009. Manage a released document
- 1010. Revise a released document
- 1011. Cancel a released document
- 1100. How to work with parts
- 1101. How to work with parts
- 1200. How to start a part
- 1203. Fill in the new part
- 1204. Add, modify or remove BOM parts
- 1205. Import a CAD BOM
- 1206. Add or remove approved sources
- 1207. Add or remove references
- 1208. Add or remove materials
- 1209. Start and update a task
- 1210. Save your part
- 1211. Remove your part
- 1212. Release your part
- 1213. Revise a released part
- 1214. Manage a released part
- 1215. Cancel a released part
- 1300. How to revise multiple markups
- 1400. How to work with change forms
- 1401. Processing a change
- 1500. How to start a change form
- 1503. Start and update a task
- 1504. Analyze a submitted change
- 1505. Fix change form routing errors
- 1506. Remove your change form
- 1507. Review a routed change
- 1508. Resolve an on-hold change
- 1509. Analyze an accepted change
- 1510. Use a released change
- 1511. View a completed change
- 1512. Analyze a stopped change
- 1513. View a rejected change
- 1514. Remove a canceled change
- 1515. Return a submitted change
- 1600. How to work with file attachments
- 1700. How to report, import & export
- 1701. Run a report
- 1702. Export a PDX package
- 1703. Use the DataGrid
- 1704. Use the Report/Export Wizard
- 1800. Import & update items
- 1801. Use the Batch Importer
- 1802. Item Master import
- 1803. Iteration-level relational imports
- 1804. Bill of materials import
- 1805. References import
- 1806. Revision files import
- 1807. Sources import
- 1808. Item-level relational imports
- 1809. Item files & links import
- 1810. Item materials import
- 1811. Item product families import
- 1812. Groups collection import
- 1813. Materials collection import
- 1814. Organizations collection import
- 1815. Product families collection import
- 1816. Persons collection import
- 1817. Custom collection import
- 1900. View & export via ODBC
- 1901. View database objects
- 1902. Create an ODBC connection
- 1903. ItemViews reference
- 1904. ReferencePairViews reference
- 1905. SourcePairViews reference
- 1906. SourceItemMasterView reference
- 1907. StructurePairViews reference
- 1908. ChangeViews reference
- 1909. ChangePairViews reference
- 1910. FilePairMasterView reference
- 2000. How to do other tasks
- 2100. Menu reference
- 2200. Document reference
- 2300. Part reference
- 2400. Change Form reference
- 2500. System Rules reference
- 2501. System Rules tool
- 2502. General: Copy files to snapshot
- 2503. General: Copy previous tasks
- 2504. General: Item uniqueness definition
- 2505. General: Reviewer comment required
- 2506. General: Unlock change form Files (rule)
- 2507. General: Unlock change form Tasks (rule)
- 2508. Password Policy
- 2509. References Tabs
- 2510. BOM: Limit part to one row
- 2511. BOM: Lock part unit of measure
- 2512. BOM: Allow partner parts
- 2600. Collections reference
- 2601. Managing collections
- 2602. Custom attributes
- 2700. Places/Organizations/Persons
- 2800. General
- 2900. Documents
- 3000. Parts
- 3100. Changes
- 3108. Custom collections
- 3200. Other reference topics
- 3300. Software licenses & legal notices