PDXpert PLM Software
On-line Help Guide
This help topic describes the current PDXpert PLM release. Earlier releases may be different. To view your release's version of this topic, open PDXpert and press the F1 key or select the Help menu.
Item files & links import
This file defines how PDXpert attaches item-level files and external links to document and part records.
Each row in the import file represents an item record with
- a file that is imported into the library, and attached to the record's Item Files list; or
- an external URI (with protocol such as http: or file:) that is attached to the record's Item Files list.
The import file creates or updates parent-child relationships regardless of the parent item's iteration status (pending, released or canceled).
This format is intended to import historical or background files and web links that are not under change control.
Do not use this import format for revision files; instead, use the iteration-level file import.
Rows on the Item Files list are added cumulatively. That is, you can import an additional row (say, a new website) without affecting the current list. If you want to replace an existing list, clear the list using the DELETE-ITEMFILE-LIST or DELETE-ITEMLINK-LIST special values.
Refer to the help topic How to report, import & export > Import & update items > Item-level relational imports.
Do not attach multiple files with the same name to one item record.
Avoid importing a Windows Link (.lnk) file. The real data file is not saved, and the link file doesn't contain information that's useful to other computers. Use a URI item link if you don't want PDXpert to manage the actual file.
The External Data Importer tool can generate a CSV template file, which can be used to import your data. Select List: Item Files and Links from the dropdown list, click the button, and save the file to a convenient location.
|Column name||Data type||Assignment if empty||Description|
|Class||string Part or Document||Part||If not specified, then the parent item's Class is assumed to be a part.|
|Owner||Organizations||home organization||Identifies the organization that is primarily responsible for the parent item's specification and which issues the item Number. If not specified, then the home organization is assumed.|
|Type||Document Types or Part Types||default member||If not specified, then the appropriate type collection is determined by this parent item's Class, and the default member of the resulting type collection is used to match the record's Type selection.|
|Number||string||row is skipped||REQUIRED: Part or document number. If the value is empty, the row is not imported.|
|ItemFile||file: length ≤ 1000 characters||see note 1||
This is the full file path and name of the file, e.g., C:\MyData\MyFile.txt, that is imported and attached to the corresponding item's Item Files list. As the file is copied into the system library, its attributes are extracted and used to populate the file's attachment record.
If the file does not exist at the specified path, then the file attachment is not created. If the file name is the same as an existing attachment, then the imported file replaces the existing file. The special value DELETE-ITEMFILE-LIST removes all item files (but not links) from the item.
It is highly recommended that the imported files are located on the same physical machine — that is, not on a network or mapped drive — as the importing PDXpert client.
|ItemFileNote||string: length ≤ 4000 characters||no value assigned||This value is assigned to the file's Notes area.|
|ItemLink||URI: length ≤ 1000 characters||see note 1||
This identifies the location of an external resource ("URI"), such as a supplier website. The URI is assigned to the parent item's Item Files list. Your string should conform to a standard URI scheme, such as http:// or file://. For example, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_URI_scheme#Windows
The importer warns about an invalid URI but the value is accepted. The resource is not checked that it actually exists. If the URI value is the same as an existing attachment, then the imported value replaces the existing value. The special value DELETE-ITEMLINK-LIST removes all item links (but not item files) from the item.
Be cautious about importing local URIs, such as network file shares, where the path may be renamed or deleted.
|ItemLinkNote||string: length ≤ 4000 characters||no value assigned||This value is assigned to the URI's Notes area.|
- At least one of these two columns must have a value. We recommend importing files and links on separate rows. One data row can import both an item file and item link, but if either value fails then the entire row (both columns) fails.
Help Guide Contents [PDF]
- 0001. Welcome!
- 0002. Help conventions
- 0100. PDXpert Application Server
- 0101. Server overview
- 0200. How to...
- 0300. Console reference
- 0400. How to start the PDXpert client
- 0500. Program concepts
- 0600. How to set up PDXpert
- 0700. How to use the Item Explorer
- 0800. How to use the Collection Explorer
- 0900. How to work with documents
- 0901. Manage documents
- 1000. How to start a document
- 1003. Fill in the new document
- 1004. Add a document's references
- 1005. Save your document
- 1006. Remove your document
- 1007. Release your document
- 1008. Manage a released document
- 1009. Revise a released document
- 1010. Cancel a released document
- 1100. How to work with parts
- 1101. Manage parts
- 1200. How to start a part
- 1203. Fill in the new part
- 1204. Add, modify or remove BOM parts
- 1205. Import a CAD BOM
- 1206. Add or remove approved sources
- 1207. Add a part's references
- 1208. Save your part
- 1209. Remove your part
- 1210. Release your part
- 1211. Revise a released part
- 1212. Manage a released part
- 1213. Cancel a released part
- 1300. How to revise multiple markups
- 1400. How to work with change forms
- 1401. Processing a change
- 1402. Originate a new change form
- 1403. Analyze a submitted change
- 1404. Fix change processing errors
- 1405. Remove your change form
- 1406. Review a routed change
- 1407. Resolve an on-hold change
- 1408. Analyze an accepted change
- 1409. Use a released change
- 1410. View a completed change
- 1411. Analyze a stopped change
- 1412. View a rejected change
- 1413. Remove a canceled change
- 1414. Return a submitted change
- 1500. How to work with file attachments
- 1600. How to report, import & export
- 1601. Create a report
- 1602. Export a PDX package
- 1603. Use the Report/Export Wizard
- 1700. Import & update items
- 1701. Initialize your PLM database
- 1702. Use the External Data Importer
- 1703. Item Master import
- 1704. Iteration-level relational imports
- 1705. Bill of materials import
- 1706. References import
- 1707. Revision files import
- 1708. Sources import
- 1709. Item-level relational imports
- 1710. Item files & links import
- 1711. Materials import
- 1712. Groups collection import
- 1713. Materials collection import
- 1714. Organizations collection import
- 1715. Persons collection import
- 1716. Custom collection import
- 1800. View & export via ODBC
- 1801. View database objects
- 1802. Create an ODBC connection
- 1803. ItemViews reference
- 1804. ReferencePairViews reference
- 1805. SourcePairViews reference
- 1806. SourceItemMasterView reference
- 1807. StructurePairViews reference
- 1808. ChangeViews reference
- 1809. ChangePairViews reference
- 1810. FilePairMasterView reference
- 1900. How to perform other tasks
- 2000. Menu reference
- 2100. Item Explorer reference
- 2200. Document window reference
- 2300. Part window reference
- 2400. Change Form window reference
- 2500. System Rules reference
- 2501. System Rules window
- 2502. General: Copy files to snapshot
- 2503. General: Item uniqueness definition
- 2504. General: Reviewer's comment required
- 2505. Default File Access
- 2506. Password Policy
- 2507. References Tabs
- 2508. BOM: Allow duplicate parts
- 2509. BOM: Lock part default unit of measure
- 2510. BOM: Allow partner parts
- 2600. Collections reference
- 2601. Managing collections
- 2602. Custom attributes
- 2700. Places/Organizations/Persons
- 2800. General
- 2900. Documents
- 3000. Parts
- 3100. Changes
- 3108. Custom collections
- 3200. Other reference topics
- 3300. Software licenses & legal notices