PDXpert PLM Software
On-line Help Guide
This help topic describes the current PDXpert PLM release. Earlier releases may be different. To view your release's version of this topic, open PDXpert and press the F1 key or select the Help menu.
Use the External Data Importer
You can import lists of parts, documents and files – and update your existing item records – using the External Data Importer tool.
Most attributes on the item's General, Attributes, and Notes tabs can be imported in the Item Master import file. Lists of related objects — BOM items, approved sources, references, materials, and file attachments — are imported using separate relationship import files.
General import procedure §
Before importing your data, back up your database. The import tool makes significant changes to your database, and can overwrite data on previously-imported items. You cannot undo the changes it makes; you can only restore your backup database.
You should be the only user logged into the system when using this tool.
The evaluation software limits the number of items you can use without a license key. If you plan to import more than a few thousand items, request a software license key.
Procedures for importing legacy data into PDXpert are described in the help topic Initialize your PLM database
If you want to import a single bill of materials into an assembly's BOM, refer to the How to work with parts > Import a CAD BOM topic.
Create your import file(s) after reading the relevant help topics for these files.
Click on the External Data Importer window.menu and select the command, which opens the
The Role that has been marked with the Manage as administrator permission.command is visible only to users with a
Select the type of data that you want to import: Item Masters, Bills of Materials, References, Sources, item and/or revision Files, or Materials.
When importing Item Master data, you can specify whether new collection members should be created during import. If you want collection members created "on the fly", mark the appropriate Create missing collection member(s) checkboxes.
The checkbox setting may apply to more than one column of the import file. For example, the Person checkbox controls member creation from data in the Trustee, Person1 and Person2 columns.
Click the Open File dialog.button, which displays the
Navigate to the file containing your correctly-formatted data, and click thebutton. The file is immediately processed.
To stop the file processing, click thebutton.
You can copy the status log messages to the Windows clipboard by clicking thebutton.
To close the Item Master Import window after your data has been processed, click the button.
After import, each new item is available within the PDXpert client for further editing and may ultimately be released on a change form, exactly as though you'd created the record manually.
Help Guide Contents [PDF]
- 0001. Welcome!
- 0002. Help conventions
- 0100. PDXpert Application Server
- 0101. Server overview
- 0200. How to...
- 0300. Console reference
- 0400. How to start the PDXpert client
- 0500. Program concepts
- 0600. How to set up PDXpert
- 0700. How to use the Item Explorer
- 0800. How to use the Collection Explorer
- 0900. How to work with documents
- 0901. Manage documents
- 1000. How to start a document
- 1003. Fill in the new document
- 1004. Add or remove references
- 1005. Save your document
- 1006. Remove your document
- 1007. Release your document
- 1008. Manage a released document
- 1009. Revise a released document
- 1010. Cancel a released document
- 1100. How to work with parts
- 1101. Manage parts
- 1200. How to start a part
- 1203. Fill in the new part
- 1204. Add, modify or remove BOM parts
- 1205. Import a CAD BOM
- 1206. Add or remove approved sources
- 1207. Add or remove references
- 1208. Save your part
- 1209. Remove your part
- 1210. Release your part
- 1211. Revise a released part
- 1212. Manage a released part
- 1213. Cancel a released part
- 1300. How to revise multiple markups
- 1400. How to work with change forms
- 1401. Processing a change
- 1402. Originate a new change form
- 1403. Analyze a submitted change
- 1404. Fix change processing errors
- 1405. Remove your change form
- 1406. Review a routed change
- 1407. Resolve an on-hold change
- 1408. Analyze an accepted change
- 1409. Use a released change
- 1410. View a completed change
- 1411. Analyze a stopped change
- 1412. View a rejected change
- 1413. Remove a canceled change
- 1414. Return a submitted change
- 1500. How to work with file attachments
- 1600. How to report, import & export
- 1601. Create a report
- 1602. Export a PDX package
- 1603. Use the Report/Export Wizard
- 1700. Import & update items
- 1701. Initialize your PLM database
- 1702. Use the External Data Importer
- 1703. Item Master import
- 1704. Iteration-level relational imports
- 1705. Bill of materials import
- 1706. References import
- 1707. Revision files import
- 1708. Sources import
- 1709. Item-level relational imports
- 1710. Item files & links import
- 1711. Materials import
- 1712. Groups collection import
- 1713. Materials collection import
- 1714. Organizations collection import
- 1715. Persons collection import
- 1716. Custom collection import
- 1800. View & export via ODBC
- 1801. View database objects
- 1802. Create an ODBC connection
- 1803. ItemViews reference
- 1804. ReferencePairViews reference
- 1805. SourcePairViews reference
- 1806. SourceItemMasterView reference
- 1807. StructurePairViews reference
- 1808. ChangeViews reference
- 1809. ChangePairViews reference
- 1810. FilePairMasterView reference
- 1900. How to perform other tasks
- 2000. Menu reference
- 2100. Item Explorer reference
- 2200. Document window reference
- 2300. Part window reference
- 2400. Change Form window reference
- 2500. System Rules reference
- 2501. System Rules window
- 2502. General: Copy files to snapshot
- 2503. General: Item uniqueness definition
- 2504. General: Reviewer's comment required
- 2505. Default File Access
- 2506. Password Policy
- 2507. References Tabs
- 2508. BOM: Allow duplicate parts
- 2509. BOM: Lock part default unit of measure
- 2510. BOM: Allow partner parts
- 2600. Collections reference
- 2601. Managing collections
- 2602. Custom attributes
- 2700. Places/Organizations/Persons
- 2800. General
- 2900. Documents
- 3000. Parts
- 3100. Changes
- 3108. Custom collections
- 3200. Other reference topics
- 3300. Software licenses & legal notices