PDXpert PLM Software
On-line Help Guide
This help topic describes the current PDXpert PLM release. Earlier releases may be different. To view your release's version of this topic, open PDXpert and press the F1 key or select the Help menu.
Specifies people who have an interest in your product data and, optionally, allows you to create and manage PDXpert user accounts for them.
Where used §
Data fields §
General tab §
- Name §
- This is the complete name for the person.
- Always use a real person's name. It's confusing to track user's actions within the system, and difficult to ensure license compliance, using virtual persons like Engineer1.
- Before changing the person's Name or deleting the person record, refer to the Setup suggestions below.
- Job title §
- This describes the person's job function or assignment.
- Organization §
- Select the employing organization from the dropdown list.
- Employee identifier §
- In larger organizations, this may be useful to distinguish between similarly-named employees.
- Do not enter privacy-sensitive information such as social security number. Use an organization-issued identifier instead.
- Supervisor §
- Select the employee's supervisor from the dropdown list. This information may be useful when the employee cannot be contacted.
- Start at the highest level that you'll need of a company's organization chart. As you work down the chart, you'll always have an employee's supervisor available as you enter their data.
- Start date §
- You may wish to record when a person joined the organization, or first had access to PDXpert.
- End date §
- You may wish to record when a person left the organization, or last had access to PDXpert.
- Default member of collection §
The default member of the Persons collection is called the super administrator. This person always has administrator permissions (even if it hasn't explicitly been assigned an administrator role).
Use the super administrator account to access your system under these unusual conditions:
All known log-in accounts or passwords have been lost. On the PDXpert Application Server, click the User Management window.button, then use the super administrator account to update user accounts in the PDXpert client's
More log-in accounts have been assigned than are permitted by your PDXpert software license. Log into PDXpert using the super administrator account, and then delete user accounts in the PDXpert client's User Management window. When the total number of user accounts is within the maximum shown in the Software License Key window, all users will again have normal access.
The super administrator account is assigned within the Collection Explorer's Persons collection. See the How to perform other tasks > Manage user accounts > Setting a user as the super administrator help topic.
- Active: users can select §
- Mark this checkbox for current PDXpert system users, and clear it for previous users.
- You'll usually want to make previous persons inactive, rather than rename or delete the member record. Refer to the Setup suggestions below.
- Permanent member of collection §
- For a description of this checkbox, see the Collections reference > Managing collections help topic.
Address tab §
This address contains the person's individual contact information. If you click thebutton, then the employing organization's address information is copied into empty address fields.
- Primary email address §
The Primary email address defines where email notices are sent in response to change workflow events and task assignments. You can specify several email addresses by separating them with a comma:
Use your email client (e.g., Microsoft Outlook) to process incoming notices — for example, to sort into topic folders, assign a priority or schedule a reminder.
Setup suggestions §
Any number of Persons member records can be created without affecting the software license count. However, each user account (log-in) name consumes one license. To free a license, you can delete an account on the User Management window and, if you wish, leave the Persons record in the database.
Setting a person's status to inactive §
After a person has participated in the PDXpert system, that person's history (such as document creation and change approvals) is always useful. Therefore, when you no longer want the person to access PDXpert data, set the person as inactive rather than delete or re-use the person's record:
- If the person is currently set as the system's Super Administrator (that is, the person is shown in bold in the Collection Explorer's Persons collection, and Default member of collection is marked), then assign another person to be the Super Administrator by right-clicking the record, and selecting Set as Super Admin.
- If the person participated in your change workflow, remove the person from (a) the Persons tab in all Group collection members and (b) the Participants tab's Observing persons list in all Change Form collection templates.
- Delete the person's user log-in account. From the user's agent has taken control of in-process items.) menu, select the command. Click the button on the appropriate row to remove the log-in credentials and release the user account license. (You may want to defer this step until after the
- On this Persons collection member window, (a) clear Active: users can select and (b) delete the person's Primary email address from the Address tab.
Help Guide Contents [PDF]
- 0001. Welcome!
- 0002. Help conventions
- 0100. PDXpert Application Server
- 0101. Server overview
- 0200. How to...
- 0300. Console reference
- 0400. How to start the PDXpert client
- 0500. Program concepts
- 0600. How to set up PDXpert
- 0700. How to use the Item Explorer
- 0800. How to use the Collection Explorer
- 0900. How to work with documents
- 0901. Manage documents
- 1000. How to start a document
- 1003. Fill in the new document
- 1004. Add or remove references
- 1005. Save your document
- 1006. Remove your document
- 1007. Release your document
- 1008. Manage a released document
- 1009. Revise a released document
- 1010. Cancel a released document
- 1100. How to work with parts
- 1101. Manage parts
- 1200. How to start a part
- 1203. Fill in the new part
- 1204. Add, modify or remove BOM parts
- 1205. Import a CAD BOM
- 1206. Add or remove approved sources
- 1207. Add or remove references
- 1208. Save your part
- 1209. Remove your part
- 1210. Release your part
- 1211. Revise a released part
- 1212. Manage a released part
- 1213. Cancel a released part
- 1300. How to revise multiple markups
- 1400. How to work with change forms
- 1401. Processing a change
- 1402. Originate a new change form
- 1403. Analyze a submitted change
- 1404. Fix change processing errors
- 1405. Remove your change form
- 1406. Review a routed change
- 1407. Resolve an on-hold change
- 1408. Analyze an accepted change
- 1409. Use a released change
- 1410. View a completed change
- 1411. Analyze a stopped change
- 1412. View a rejected change
- 1413. Remove a canceled change
- 1414. Return a submitted change
- 1500. How to work with file attachments
- 1600. How to report, import & export
- 1601. Create a report
- 1602. Export a PDX package
- 1603. Use the Report/Export Wizard
- 1700. Import & update items
- 1701. Initialize your PLM database
- 1702. Use the External Data Importer
- 1703. Item Master import
- 1704. Iteration-level relational imports
- 1705. Bill of materials import
- 1706. References import
- 1707. Revision files import
- 1708. Sources import
- 1709. Item-level relational imports
- 1710. Item files & links import
- 1711. Materials import
- 1712. Groups collection import
- 1713. Materials collection import
- 1714. Organizations collection import
- 1715. Persons collection import
- 1716. Custom collection import
- 1800. View & export via ODBC
- 1801. View database objects
- 1802. Create an ODBC connection
- 1803. ItemViews reference
- 1804. ReferencePairViews reference
- 1805. SourcePairViews reference
- 1806. SourceItemMasterView reference
- 1807. StructurePairViews reference
- 1808. ChangeViews reference
- 1809. ChangePairViews reference
- 1810. FilePairMasterView reference
- 1900. How to perform other tasks
- 2000. Menu reference
- 2100. Item Explorer reference
- 2200. Document window reference
- 2300. Part window reference
- 2400. Change Form window reference
- 2500. System Rules reference
- 2501. System Rules window
- 2502. General: Copy files to snapshot
- 2503. General: Item uniqueness definition
- 2504. General: Reviewer's comment required
- 2505. Default File Access
- 2506. Password Policy
- 2507. References Tabs
- 2508. BOM: Allow duplicate parts
- 2509. BOM: Lock part default unit of measure
- 2510. BOM: Allow partner parts
- 2600. Collections reference
- 2601. Managing collections
- 2602. Custom attributes
- 2700. Places/Organizations/Persons
- 2800. General
- 2900. Documents
- 3000. Parts
- 3100. Changes
- 3108. Custom collections
- 3200. Other reference topics
- 3300. Software licenses & legal notices