PDXpert PLM Software
On-line Help Guide
This help topic describes the current PDXpert PLM release. Earlier releases may be different. To view your release's version of this topic, open PDXpert and press the F1 key or select the Help menu.
Add, modify or remove BOM parts
A parent assembly is constructed from subassemblies and physical components. These are often known as parent-child (also indented, hierarchical, or structured) relationships.
The BOM identifies those child parts that are required to produce the parent assembly.
Relationships must be a strict hierarchy; lower-level items must never cross-reference higher-level items. A higher item that appears on the BOM of a lower item, which in turn references the higher item, creates a recursion error — an infinite loop — in multi-level reports/exports.
The BOM tab is visible only if the Part Types collection member has Markup will accept parts marked.
You must be working with a pending iteration to modify the BOM tab. While the parent part iteration remains pending, all of your work is managed on the Markup list. After the parent part record is released using an implementing change form (such as an Engineering Change Notice), your child items on the iteration's Current list.
To minimize possible database conflicts, save and close all items that you'll be adding to the Markup list.
- To add a child item onto a pending iteration of the parent part's
Click on the BOM tab and unlock the window.
Scroll the Markup list, if necessary, to expose an empty area.
Using the Item Explorer, locate the part or document that you want to add to the parent part.
Drag the item from the Item Explorer and drop it onto an empty area of the Markup list. The icon in the Add/Remove column is and the child item is assigned a new BOM Find number.
If you change your mind, you can remove the added item: select the dropped item, and press your keyboard's Delete key or select the context menu command.
- Modify the attributes on the Markup row as appropriate.
- To modify a previously-released child item is quite similar: Drag
an item from the Item Explorer and drop it onto an existing child item, and
then edit the duplicate row's data fields. For example, suppose that you
want to modify the notes of a child part: you locate the current item, drop
it onto the row to be changed, and then modify the inserted part's
Notes field. When dropped directly onto a previously-released
item (as indicated by a "keep" icon
), the added
item is treated as a replacement for the released item. A new row (blue "add
is created and the Find number, quantity, units, reference designators
and notes are all copied to the added item. The old item (red "take off"
) is marked
for removal from the parent BOM.
If you change your mind, you can undo your item replacement: select the dropped item, and press your keyboard's Delete key or select the context menu command.
To remove an existing child item (one that was added and released on a previous iteration of the parent part) from the pending iteration's Markup list: Select the item, and press the keyboard Delete key, or select the context menu command. The child item isn't actually deleted; instead, the "keep" icon in the Add/Remove column becomes a red "remove" icon , signaling that the item will be removed from the BOM when the parent part is released on a change form.
If you change your mind, you can restore a child item that's flagged for being taken off the BOM: selectfrom the context menu.
To import a parts list from a CAD file: See the help topic How to work with parts > Import a CAD BOM
To adjust the Find numbers: Each row on the BOM has a Find number that's used to provide a point of comparison as the BOM is revised. When working with the first iteration of an assembly, the Find can be freely edited to arrange the rows as needed. Right-click a row to or to . Edit the Find number to a new value (which cannot be the same as any other Find number of the list). After the assembly is released, Find number editing on later pending iterations is more restricted.
Help Guide Contents [PDF]
- 0001. Welcome!
- 0002. Help conventions
- 0100. PDXpert Application Server
- 0101. Server overview
- 0200. How to...
- 0300. Console reference
- 0400. How to start the PDXpert client
- 0500. Program concepts
- 0600. How to set up PDXpert
- 0700. How to use the Item Explorer
- 0800. How to use the Collection Explorer
- 0900. How to work with documents
- 0901. Manage documents
- 1000. How to start a document
- 1003. Fill in the new document
- 1004. Add or remove references
- 1005. Save your document
- 1006. Remove your document
- 1007. Release your document
- 1008. Manage a released document
- 1009. Revise a released document
- 1010. Cancel a released document
- 1100. How to work with parts
- 1101. Manage parts
- 1200. How to start a part
- 1203. Fill in the new part
- 1204. Add, modify or remove BOM parts
- 1205. Import a CAD BOM
- 1206. Add or remove approved sources
- 1207. Add or remove references
- 1208. Save your part
- 1209. Remove your part
- 1210. Release your part
- 1211. Revise a released part
- 1212. Manage a released part
- 1213. Cancel a released part
- 1300. How to revise multiple markups
- 1400. How to work with change forms
- 1401. Processing a change
- 1402. Originate a new change form
- 1403. Analyze a submitted change
- 1404. Fix change processing errors
- 1405. Remove your change form
- 1406. Review a routed change
- 1407. Resolve an on-hold change
- 1408. Analyze an accepted change
- 1409. Use a released change
- 1410. View a completed change
- 1411. Analyze a stopped change
- 1412. View a rejected change
- 1413. Remove a canceled change
- 1414. Return a submitted change
- 1500. How to work with file attachments
- 1600. How to report, import & export
- 1601. Create a report
- 1602. Export a PDX package
- 1603. Use the Report/Export Wizard
- 1700. Import & update items
- 1701. Initialize your PLM database
- 1702. Use the External Data Importer
- 1703. Item Master import
- 1704. Iteration-level relational imports
- 1705. Bill of materials import
- 1706. References import
- 1707. Revision files import
- 1708. Sources import
- 1709. Item-level relational imports
- 1710. Item files & links import
- 1711. Materials import
- 1712. Groups collection import
- 1713. Materials collection import
- 1714. Organizations collection import
- 1715. Persons collection import
- 1716. Custom collection import
- 1800. View & export via ODBC
- 1801. View database objects
- 1802. Create an ODBC connection
- 1803. ItemViews reference
- 1804. ReferencePairViews reference
- 1805. SourcePairViews reference
- 1806. SourceItemMasterView reference
- 1807. StructurePairViews reference
- 1808. ChangeViews reference
- 1809. ChangePairViews reference
- 1810. FilePairMasterView reference
- 1900. How to perform other tasks
- 2000. Menu reference
- 2100. Item Explorer reference
- 2200. Document window reference
- 2300. Part window reference
- 2400. Change Form window reference
- 2500. System Rules reference
- 2501. System Rules window
- 2502. General: Copy files to snapshot
- 2503. General: Item uniqueness definition
- 2504. General: Reviewer's comment required
- 2505. Default File Access
- 2506. Password Policy
- 2507. References Tabs
- 2508. BOM: Allow duplicate parts
- 2509. BOM: Lock part default unit of measure
- 2510. BOM: Allow partner parts
- 2600. Collections reference
- 2601. Managing collections
- 2602. Custom attributes
- 2700. Places/Organizations/Persons
- 2800. General
- 2900. Documents
- 3000. Parts
- 3100. Changes
- 3108. Custom collections
- 3200. Other reference topics
- 3300. Software licenses & legal notices