PDXpert PLM Software
On-line Help Guide
This help topic describes the current PDXpert PLM release. Earlier releases may be different. To view your release's version of this topic, open PDXpert and press the F1 key or select the Help menu.
Add, modify or remove BOM parts
A parent assembly is constructed from subassemblies and physical components. These are often known as parent-child (also indented, hierarchical, or structured) relationships.
The BOM identifies the child parts that are added or consumed when making the parent assembly. Documents, as well as supporting parts (such as tooling), are added to the assembly's References list.
Relationships must be a strict hierarchy; lower-level items must never use higher-level items. A higher item that's on the BOM of a lower item causes a recursion error — an infinite loop — in multi-level reports/exports.
The BOM lists are visible only if the Part Types collection member has Markup will accept parts marked.
You must be working with a pending iteration to modify the BOM list. While the parent part iteration remains pending, all of your work is managed on the BOM: Markup list. After the parent part record is released using an executing change form (such as a Change Notice), your child parts are shown on the iteration's BOM: Current list.
To minimize possible database conflicts, save or close all items that you'll be adding to the BOM: Markup list.
Add a component row §
To add a child part onto a pending iteration of the parent part's BOM: Markup list:
Click on the BOM: Markup list. Scroll the list, if necessary, to expose an empty area.
Using the Item Explorer, locate the part or document that you want to add to the parent part.
Drag the item from the Item Explorer and drop it onto an empty area of the BOM: Markup list. The icon in the Add/Remove column is and the child item is given a new BOM Find number.
- If needed, edit the attributes on the added row.
If you change your mind, you can remove the added row: select the row, and press your keyboard's Delete key or select the context menucommand.
Modify a released row §
You can replace the child part on a row and keep the quantity and other data; or keep the part but edit the other data; or both replace the part and edit the data.
You don't edit the old row, but work on a new copy. The values in the old row and new row can be compared during the change review.
To modify a previously-released child row from the pending iteration of a parent part's BOM: Markup list:
Drag an item from the Item Explorer and drop it onto a released row (as shown by a "keep" icon ). The released row is marked as removed (red "take off" icon ) and a new row is added (blue "add on" icon ). The Find number, quantity and units, reference designators, and notes are copied to the added item.
If you're keeping the same part and only modifying the quantity, notes or RefDes, then you can select the row, open the context menu, and select.
Edit the added row's quantity, RefDes, notes or other editable fields. Don't change the Find value.
If you change your mind, you can undo your row replacement: select the added row, and press your keyboard's Delete key or select the context menucommand.
Remove a released row §
To remove a BOM row that is on the previous released iteration of the parent part:
On the pending iteration's BOM: Markup list, select the row.
Press the keyboard Delete key, or select the context menucommand.
The child item isn't immediately deleted; instead, the "keep" icon in the Add/Remove column becomes a red "remove" icon . This shows that the item will be removed from the BOM when the parent part is released on a change form.
If you change your mind, you can undo a child row that's marked to take off : Selectfrom the context menu.
Import CAD BOM file §
To import a parts list from a CAD file, see the Import a CAD BOM help topic.
Adjust Find numbers §
Each row on the BOM has a Find number that's used to track how the BOM changes from one revision to the next. To adjust the Find numbers:
When working with the first iteration of an assembly, the Find can be edited to adjust the rows as needed. Right-click a row toor to . Edit the Find number to a new value (which cannot be the same as any other Find number of the list).
After the assembly is released, new BOM revisions allow editing the Find number on new rows, but you can't adjust the Find of released rows.
BOM changes are easier to understand when the Find matches a removed row with its functional replacement. A gap between existing rows should be filled only by a part that's functionally related to the row that was previously removed.
Help Guide Contents [as PDF]
- 0001. Welcome!
- 0002. Help styles
- 0100. PDXpert Application Server
- 0101. Server overview
- 0200. How to...
- 0300. Console reference
- 0400. How to start the PDXpert client
- 0500. PDXpert introduction
- 0600. How to set up PDXpert
- 0700. How to use the Item Explorer
- 0800. How to use the Collection Explorer
- 0900. How to work with documents
- 0901. How to work with documents
- 1000. How to start a document
- 1003. Fill in the new document
- 1004. Add or remove references
- 1005. Start and update a task
- 1006. Save your document
- 1007. Remove your document
- 1008. Release your document
- 1009. Manage a released document
- 1010. Revise a released document
- 1011. Cancel a released document
- 1100. How to work with parts
- 1101. How to work with parts
- 1200. How to start a part
- 1203. Fill in the new part
- 1204. Add, modify or remove BOM parts
- 1205. Import a CAD BOM
- 1206. Add or remove approved sources
- 1207. Add or remove references
- 1208. Add or remove materials
- 1209. Start and update a task
- 1210. Save your part
- 1211. Remove your part
- 1212. Release your part
- 1213. Revise a released part
- 1214. Manage a released part
- 1215. Cancel a released part
- 1300. How to revise multiple markups
- 1400. How to work with change forms
- 1401. Processing a change
- 1500. How to start a change form
- 1503. Start and update a task
- 1504. Analyze a submitted change
- 1505. Fix change form routing errors
- 1506. Remove your change form
- 1507. Review a routed change
- 1508. Resolve an on-hold change
- 1509. Analyze an accepted change
- 1510. Use a released change
- 1511. View a completed change
- 1512. Analyze a stopped change
- 1513. View a rejected change
- 1514. Remove a canceled change
- 1515. Return a submitted change
- 1600. How to work with file attachments
- 1700. How to report, import & export
- 1701. Run a report
- 1702. Export a PDX package
- 1703. Use the DataGrid
- 1704. Use the Report/Export Wizard
- 1800. Import & update items
- 1801. Use the Batch Importer
- 1802. Item Master import
- 1803. Iteration-level relational imports
- 1804. Bill of materials import
- 1805. References import
- 1806. Revision files import
- 1807. Sources import
- 1808. Item-level relational imports
- 1809. Item files & links import
- 1810. Item materials import
- 1811. Item product families import
- 1812. Groups collection import
- 1813. Materials collection import
- 1814. Organizations collection import
- 1815. Product families collection import
- 1816. Persons collection import
- 1817. Custom collection import
- 1900. View & export via ODBC
- 1901. View database objects
- 1902. Create an ODBC connection
- 1903. ItemViews reference
- 1904. ReferencePairViews reference
- 1905. SourcePairViews reference
- 1906. SourceItemMasterView reference
- 1907. StructurePairViews reference
- 1908. ChangeViews reference
- 1909. ChangePairViews reference
- 1910. FilePairMasterView reference
- 2000. How to do other tasks
- 2100. Menu reference
- 2200. Document reference
- 2300. Part reference
- 2400. Change Form reference
- 2500. System Rules reference
- 2501. System Rules tool
- 2502. General: Copy files to snapshot
- 2503. General: Copy previous tasks
- 2504. General: Item uniqueness definition
- 2505. General: Reviewer comment required
- 2506. General: Unlock change form Files (rule)
- 2507. General: Unlock change form Tasks (rule)
- 2508. Password Policy
- 2509. References Tabs
- 2510. BOM: Limit part to one row
- 2511. BOM: Lock part unit of measure
- 2512. BOM: Allow partner parts
- 2600. Collections reference
- 2601. Managing collections
- 2602. Custom attributes
- 2700. Places/Organizations/Persons
- 2800. General
- 2900. Documents
- 3000. Parts
- 3100. Changes
- 3108. Custom collections
- 3200. Other reference topics
- 3300. Software licenses & legal notices