PDXpert PLM Software
On-line Help Guide
This help topic describes the current PDXpert PLM release. Earlier releases may be different. To view your release's version of this topic, open PDXpert and press the F1 key or select the Help menu.
Item-level relational imports
Relational import files create relationships between item records that are already in the database. The import file simply creates a new relationship between existing items; both parent and child items must already be in the database. Any number of parent items may be in the import file, and each parent can be related to one or more child items. It's common for some child items to be assigned to several different parents.
Use item-level relational files to initialize your database from legacy data sources, such as an MRP database or Excel files. These existing records may have been imported in bulk using the ItemMaster.csv file, although they can also be created in the normal course of using PDXpert.
You can also use item-level relation files to update item files and external links, as well as to keep parts' materials lists current.
Guidelines for importing item-level relationships §
Before importing your data, back up your database. The import tool makes significant changes to your database, and can overwrite data on previously-imported items. You cannot undo the changes it makes; you can only restore your backup database.
If you use Excel as your CSV file editor, it may make undesired changes to values that it interprets as a number. For example, part number strings beginning with zero (e.g., 001234) will often be silently converted to a numeric value (1234). If you have any part numbers, document numbers or other data with leading zeroes, don't use Excel. Instead, use a CSV file editor, Windows Notepad, or other plain text editor (not Word) to edit your import file.
Empty import file .csv templates (with existing item data, if any) can be exported using the External Data Importer tool. Select the Import Type template, then click the button.
Parent and child items in these import files are matched according to the identification rule defined in Item uniqueness defined by: Number, Organization, Class, Type. Columns not specified by the rule (Class or Type) are ignored during matching.
Iterations are always ignored in the matching (in fact, none of the relational import files include columns for specifying iteration values).
Rows are added cumulatively. That is, you can import an additional row without affecting the current list. If you want to replace an existing materials list, you must explicitly clear the list using the special value defined for that import file.
- The column names in the first row of the import file (the "header" row) must match the definitions in the help topic. The header names are case-sensitive and must be spelled exactly as shown. Every column with data must have a conforming header. Do not include more than one column with the same header name.
- Defined columns may be in any order. Extra (undefined) columns in the import file are ignored.
- Every value must conform to the column's specified type (collection member, string, number, etc.) or be empty. For example, a column that requires a numeric value cannot include non-numeric characters.
- Leading and trailing spaces are removed from each data element before it's matched or applied. Other space characters are not affected. For example, the value many spaces becomes many spaces.
Help Guide Contents [PDF]
- 0001. Welcome!
- 0002. Help conventions
- 0100. PDXpert Application Server
- 0101. Server overview
- 0200. How to...
- 0300. Console reference
- 0400. How to start the PDXpert client
- 0500. Program concepts
- 0600. How to set up PDXpert
- 0700. How to use the Item Explorer
- 0800. How to use the Collection Explorer
- 0900. How to work with documents
- 0901. Manage documents
- 1000. How to start a document
- 1003. Fill in the new document
- 1004. Add or remove references
- 1005. Save your document
- 1006. Remove your document
- 1007. Release your document
- 1008. Manage a released document
- 1009. Revise a released document
- 1010. Cancel a released document
- 1100. How to work with parts
- 1101. Manage parts
- 1200. How to start a part
- 1203. Fill in the new part
- 1204. Add, modify or remove BOM parts
- 1205. Import a CAD BOM
- 1206. Add or remove approved sources
- 1207. Add or remove references
- 1208. Save your part
- 1209. Remove your part
- 1210. Release your part
- 1211. Revise a released part
- 1212. Manage a released part
- 1213. Cancel a released part
- 1300. How to revise multiple markups
- 1400. How to work with change forms
- 1401. Processing a change
- 1402. Originate a new change form
- 1403. Analyze a submitted change
- 1404. Fix change processing errors
- 1405. Remove your change form
- 1406. Review a routed change
- 1407. Resolve an on-hold change
- 1408. Analyze an accepted change
- 1409. Use a released change
- 1410. View a completed change
- 1411. Analyze a stopped change
- 1412. View a rejected change
- 1413. Remove a canceled change
- 1414. Return a submitted change
- 1500. How to work with file attachments
- 1600. How to report, import & export
- 1601. Create a report
- 1602. Export a PDX package
- 1603. Use the Report/Export Wizard
- 1700. Import & update items
- 1701. Initialize your PLM database
- 1702. Use the External Data Importer
- 1703. Item Master import
- 1704. Iteration-level relational imports
- 1705. Bill of materials import
- 1706. References import
- 1707. Revision files import
- 1708. Sources import
- 1709. Item-level relational imports
- 1710. Item files & links import
- 1711. Materials import
- 1712. Groups collection import
- 1713. Materials collection import
- 1714. Organizations collection import
- 1715. Persons collection import
- 1716. Custom collection import
- 1800. View & export via ODBC
- 1801. View database objects
- 1802. Create an ODBC connection
- 1803. ItemViews reference
- 1804. ReferencePairViews reference
- 1805. SourcePairViews reference
- 1806. SourceItemMasterView reference
- 1807. StructurePairViews reference
- 1808. ChangeViews reference
- 1809. ChangePairViews reference
- 1810. FilePairMasterView reference
- 1900. How to perform other tasks
- 2000. Menu reference
- 2100. Item Explorer reference
- 2200. Document window reference
- 2300. Part window reference
- 2400. Change Form window reference
- 2500. System Rules reference
- 2501. System Rules window
- 2502. General: Copy files to snapshot
- 2503. General: Item uniqueness definition
- 2504. General: Reviewer's comment required
- 2505. Default File Access
- 2506. Password Policy
- 2507. References Tabs
- 2508. BOM: Allow duplicate parts
- 2509. BOM: Lock part default unit of measure
- 2510. BOM: Allow partner parts
- 2600. Collections reference
- 2601. Managing collections
- 2602. Custom attributes
- 2700. Places/Organizations/Persons
- 2800. General
- 2900. Documents
- 3000. Parts
- 3100. Changes
- 3108. Custom collections
- 3200. Other reference topics
- 3300. Software licenses & legal notices