PDXpert PLM Software
On-line Help Guide
This help topic describes the current PDXpert PLM release. Earlier releases may be different. To view your release's version of this topic, open PDXpert and press the F1 key or select the Help menu.
Collections define how your company works: its people, partner organizations, part number formats, change workflows, and other information.
PDXpert includes pre-populated collections that should simplify your configuration tasks. Most collection members have default values that provide a good starting point for your own process. However, given the enormous range of possible PLM processes, you will need to ensure that each collection has members appropriate for your own organization, and that each collection member accurately reflects your requirements.
Read the set-up information here and on the following topic pages. When you're done, you'll be prepared to discuss your plans with your colleagues and then review, modify or create collection members.
New company, simple configuration §
If you are starting a new system at a start-up company, and don't have to worry about legacy data or conform to a particular process, you can simply start using PDXpert exactly as it is installed. All of the design decisions have been made, and the system will accommodate your company's growth for many years with little additional thought.
However, there are a few areas that you'll need to review and update:
- If your company regularly works with foreign Currencies and Languages, you'll want to make sure the appropriate members of these collections are active. After setting the default currency, update the exchange rates from the menu.
- You must add all PDXpert users into the Persons collection, and create their log-in account credentials.
- The default configuration has been set with a minimal set of Groups and their reviewers, and these are used in the predefined Change Forms members. If your change review and approval process requires participation by more people, you'll need to add new groups, their authorized reviewers, and the change forms they review.
- The Organizations collection should include your current suppliers, regulatory agencies and other partners.
- By default, the most common metric and U.S. Units of Measure are active. If you don't use these units, you may wish to make them inactive.
Of course, even if you are starting a new system, you can extensively modify the existing collection members (as well as add new members) as described in the accompanying help topics.
Tailoring PDXpert to an existing process §
If, like most companies, you have existing documents and parts, and have to conform to an existing data management process, it's likely that PDXpert's collections will require editing or additional members.
- Review the PDXpert collections, read about their functions, and get a "big picture" feel for how the collections are used by documents, parts and changes.
- Understand and, where necessary, clarify just how your current system works.
- Map the functions you require to the available collections.
- Test your complete process end to end with a small number of documents, parts and changes. Tweak as necessary.
Help Guide Contents [PDF]
- 0001. Welcome!
- 0002. Help conventions
- 0100. PDXpert Application Server
- 0101. Server overview
- 0200. How to...
- 0300. Console reference
- 0400. How to start the PDXpert client
- 0500. Program concepts
- 0600. How to set up PDXpert
- 0700. How to use the Item Explorer
- 0800. How to use the Collection Explorer
- 0900. How to work with documents
- 0901. Manage documents
- 1000. How to start a document
- 1003. Fill in the new document
- 1004. Add or remove references
- 1005. Save your document
- 1006. Remove your document
- 1007. Release your document
- 1008. Manage a released document
- 1009. Revise a released document
- 1010. Cancel a released document
- 1100. How to work with parts
- 1101. Manage parts
- 1200. How to start a part
- 1203. Fill in the new part
- 1204. Add, modify or remove BOM parts
- 1205. Import a CAD BOM
- 1206. Add or remove approved sources
- 1207. Add or remove references
- 1208. Save your part
- 1209. Remove your part
- 1210. Release your part
- 1211. Revise a released part
- 1212. Manage a released part
- 1213. Cancel a released part
- 1300. How to revise multiple markups
- 1400. How to work with change forms
- 1401. Processing a change
- 1402. Originate a new change form
- 1403. Analyze a submitted change
- 1404. Fix change processing errors
- 1405. Remove your change form
- 1406. Review a routed change
- 1407. Resolve an on-hold change
- 1408. Analyze an accepted change
- 1409. Use a released change
- 1410. View a completed change
- 1411. Analyze a stopped change
- 1412. View a rejected change
- 1413. Remove a canceled change
- 1414. Return a submitted change
- 1500. How to work with file attachments
- 1600. How to report, import & export
- 1601. Create a report
- 1602. Export a PDX package
- 1603. Use the Report/Export Wizard
- 1700. Import & update items
- 1701. Initialize your PLM database
- 1702. Use the External Data Importer
- 1703. Item Master import
- 1704. Iteration-level relational imports
- 1705. Bill of materials import
- 1706. References import
- 1707. Revision files import
- 1708. Sources import
- 1709. Item-level relational imports
- 1710. Item files & links import
- 1711. Materials import
- 1712. Groups collection import
- 1713. Materials collection import
- 1714. Organizations collection import
- 1715. Persons collection import
- 1716. Custom collection import
- 1800. View & export via ODBC
- 1801. View database objects
- 1802. Create an ODBC connection
- 1803. ItemViews reference
- 1804. ReferencePairViews reference
- 1805. SourcePairViews reference
- 1806. SourceItemMasterView reference
- 1807. StructurePairViews reference
- 1808. ChangeViews reference
- 1809. ChangePairViews reference
- 1810. FilePairMasterView reference
- 1900. How to perform other tasks
- 2000. Menu reference
- 2100. Item Explorer reference
- 2200. Document window reference
- 2300. Part window reference
- 2400. Change Form window reference
- 2500. System Rules reference
- 2501. System Rules window
- 2502. General: Copy files to snapshot
- 2503. General: Item uniqueness definition
- 2504. General: Reviewer's comment required
- 2505. Default File Access
- 2506. Password Policy
- 2507. References Tabs
- 2508. BOM: Allow duplicate parts
- 2509. BOM: Lock part default unit of measure
- 2510. BOM: Allow partner parts
- 2600. Collections reference
- 2601. Managing collections
- 2602. Custom attributes
- 2700. Places/Organizations/Persons
- 2800. General
- 2900. Documents
- 3000. Parts
- 3100. Changes
- 3108. Custom collections
- 3200. Other reference topics
- 3300. Software licenses & legal notices