PDXpert PLM Software
On-line Help Guide
This help topic describes the current PDXpert PLM release. Earlier releases may be different. To view your release's version of this topic, open PDXpert and press the F1 key or select the Help menu.
Replace a child item
The Markup Wizard lets you replace one child item with another across multiple parent items.
Exactly one item can be replaced with exactly one item. If you need to replace multiple items with a single item or vice versa, pick one item to replace; after completing the replacement, use the Markup Wizard again to add or remove the other items. For example, if a rivet will replace a "fastener set" consisting of a bolt, washer, and nut: (a) replace the bolt with the rivet, and then (b) remove the washer and nut items using the Remove one or more child items option. (Alternatively, you could remove the fastener set in one sweep and add the replacement rivet to the parent markup in a second sweep, but this won't let you re-use the find-item row.)
If the parent item doesn't have a pending iteration available for markup, then a new pending iteration is created automatically. The child item already on the parent item is marked as Remove while the item being added as its replacement is marked as Add at the same find-item row.
The parent item must permit (in its Document Types or Part Types collection member) the child items that you want to add. For example, if you're adding a part to a parent Assembly part type, that Assembly part type must have its Show BOM tab marked as True. Similarly, if you're adding a document to the parent's References list, then the appropriate References Tabs system rule must be enabled.
Use the Markup Wizard only with items that have been saved to the database. First create whatever items you'll need, such as a new parent items and/or child items and/or change form. Then close all items () before opening the Markup Wizard.
To use the Markup Wizard, you must be assigned a Role that includes both Documents: Is an analyst and Parts: Is an analyst marked as True.
Clicking the Affected list of your change form.button on any panel discards all of your planned changes and closes the Markup Wizard. No new parent iterations are created, no child items are replaced, and no items are copied to the
The Markup Wizard can work with child parts that appear on part BOM lists, and child documents that appear on part or document References lists. It cannot affect parts that appear on References lists.
Open the Markup Wizard window is displayed, select Replace one child item with another item and then click the button.menu and select When the
Using the Item Explorer
Locate the child item that you want to replace. Drag this replaced item from the Item Explorer results list and drop it onto the Replace this child item... area.
The child item's Appears On tab's BOM list shows the parent items that will be affected. If the parent item is Canceled, then it won't be affected.
Locate the child item that you want to use instead. Add this child item by dragging it from the Item Explorer results list and dropping it onto the second ...with this item at the same Find location area.
You can only drop a pending or released item. If the most recent iteration of the replacement item is canceled, you must create a new pending iteration before the Markup Wizard will accept it.
Preview the list of parent iterations that will be affected. If you wish, you can de-select a row on a specific parent item, and the de-selected child won't be replaced on that parent. You can also edit the child's Quantity and reference designators (RefDes).
If you wish, you can identify the change form that should be used to process the revised parent items. You can only use a change form that is at Originated or Submitted. The Markup Wizard simply automates the drag and drop of each item onto the change form. Items added to a change form's Affected item list may bring additional unreleased item iterations and their sources as defined in the Change Form window reference > Affected tab help topic.
Any item that has previously been assigned to a change form will remain listed on that change form regardless of what you specify here.
When you're done, click the Affected item list.button. This creates any new parent iterations, removes the previous child items, adds the replacement items, and — if you've identified a change form — adds these parent iterations to that change's
After the data has been processed, the Markup Wizard window will display whether your requested iterations were successful or encountered errors. Click the button after you've noted the results.
Help Guide Contents [PDF]
- 0001. Welcome!
- 0002. Help conventions
- 0100. PDXpert Application Server
- 0101. Server overview
- 0200. How to...
- 0300. Console reference
- 0400. How to start the PDXpert client
- 0500. Program concepts
- 0600. How to set up PDXpert
- 0700. How to use the Item Explorer
- 0800. How to use the Collection Explorer
- 0900. How to work with documents
- 0901. Manage documents
- 1000. How to start a document
- 1003. Fill in the new document
- 1004. Add or remove references
- 1005. Save your document
- 1006. Remove your document
- 1007. Release your document
- 1008. Manage a released document
- 1009. Revise a released document
- 1010. Cancel a released document
- 1100. How to work with parts
- 1101. Manage parts
- 1200. How to start a part
- 1203. Fill in the new part
- 1204. Add, modify or remove BOM parts
- 1205. Import a CAD BOM
- 1206. Add or remove approved sources
- 1207. Add or remove references
- 1208. Save your part
- 1209. Remove your part
- 1210. Release your part
- 1211. Revise a released part
- 1212. Manage a released part
- 1213. Cancel a released part
- 1300. How to revise multiple markups
- 1400. How to work with change forms
- 1401. Processing a change
- 1402. Originate a new change form
- 1403. Analyze a submitted change
- 1404. Fix change processing errors
- 1405. Remove your change form
- 1406. Review a routed change
- 1407. Resolve an on-hold change
- 1408. Analyze an accepted change
- 1409. Use a released change
- 1410. View a completed change
- 1411. Analyze a stopped change
- 1412. View a rejected change
- 1413. Remove a canceled change
- 1414. Return a submitted change
- 1500. How to work with file attachments
- 1600. How to report, import & export
- 1601. Create a report
- 1602. Export a PDX package
- 1603. Use the Report/Export Wizard
- 1700. Import & update items
- 1701. Initialize your PLM database
- 1702. Use the External Data Importer
- 1703. Item Master import
- 1704. Iteration-level relational imports
- 1705. Bill of materials import
- 1706. References import
- 1707. Revision files import
- 1708. Sources import
- 1709. Item-level relational imports
- 1710. Item files & links import
- 1711. Materials import
- 1712. Groups collection import
- 1713. Materials collection import
- 1714. Organizations collection import
- 1715. Persons collection import
- 1716. Custom collection import
- 1800. View & export via ODBC
- 1801. View database objects
- 1802. Create an ODBC connection
- 1803. ItemViews reference
- 1804. ReferencePairViews reference
- 1805. SourcePairViews reference
- 1806. SourceItemMasterView reference
- 1807. StructurePairViews reference
- 1808. ChangeViews reference
- 1809. ChangePairViews reference
- 1810. FilePairMasterView reference
- 1900. How to perform other tasks
- 2000. Menu reference
- 2100. Item Explorer reference
- 2200. Document window reference
- 2300. Part window reference
- 2400. Change Form window reference
- 2500. System Rules reference
- 2501. System Rules window
- 2502. General: Copy files to snapshot
- 2503. General: Item uniqueness definition
- 2504. General: Reviewer's comment required
- 2505. Default File Access
- 2506. Password Policy
- 2507. References Tabs
- 2508. BOM: Allow duplicate parts
- 2509. BOM: Lock part default unit of measure
- 2510. BOM: Allow partner parts
- 2600. Collections reference
- 2601. Managing collections
- 2602. Custom attributes
- 2700. Places/Organizations/Persons
- 2800. General
- 2900. Documents
- 3000. Parts
- 3100. Changes
- 3108. Custom collections
- 3200. Other reference topics
- 3300. Software licenses & legal notices